جورج هولي: سندرلاند

جورج هولي: سندرلاند


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

ولد جورج هولي في سيهام هاربور في 25 نوفمبر 1885. ولعب في سيهام وايت ستار قبل أن ينضم إلى سندرلاند في عام 1904. في ذلك الوقت كان الهداف الرئيسي ألف كومون ولكن في فبراير 1905 ، ميدلسبره ، الذين كانوا في خطر الهبوط من القسم الأول ، اشتراه من سندرلاند مقابل رسم كسر الرقم القياسي البالغ 1000 جنيه إسترليني.

ووصف أحد الصحفيين نقل كومون بأنه "لحم ودم للبيع". كتب كاتب رياضي آخر: "نحن نميل إلى التساؤل عما إذا كان لاعبي كرة القدم في الاتحاد سوف ينافسون في نهاية المطاف خيول السباق الأصيلة في السوق."

كان هولي البالغ من العمر تسعة عشر عامًا قد سجل بالفعل الكثير من الأهداف للاحتياطي وكان من المتوقع أن يكون بديلاً قادرًا عن ألف كومون. لعب هولي في الداخل الأيسر ، وسرعان ما أصبح هداف النادي.

في يناير 1908 وقع سندرلاند عقدا مع لي روز. تم إحضاره ليحل محل تيدي دويج الذي انتقل إلى ليفربول. أصبح هولي وروز صديقين مقربين. في ذلك الموسم ، احتل سندرلاند المركز الثالث في دوري الدرجة الأولى لكرة القدم. وفاز منافسهم المحلي نيوكاسل يونايتد باللقب برصيد 53 نقطة. ومع ذلك ، شعر سندرلاند بالرضا بفوزه على نيوكاسل 9-1 في سانت جيمس بارك حيث سجل هولي ثلاثية.

فاز هولي بأول مباراة دولية له ضد ويلز في 15 مارس 1909. وكان من بين اللاعبين الآخرين في الفريق الإنجليزي بوب كرومبتون وكولين فيتش. وكان زميله في فريق سندرلاند ، لي روز ، في مرمى ويلز لكنه لم يتمكن من إيقاف تسجيل هولي بعد 15 دقيقة. سجل هولي خمسة أهداف في خمس مباريات دولية ذلك الموسم. والمثير للدهشة أنه تم استبعاده من الفريق بعد فشله في التسجيل في المباراة الأولى في الموسم التالي.

استمر هولي في تسجيل الكثير من الأهداف لصالح سندرلاند وانتهى به الأمر كأفضل هداف مشترك في الدرجة الأولى في موسم 1911-12 برصيد 25 هدفًا. كما استعاد مكانه في منتخب إنجلترا وسجل في جميع المباريات الثلاث التي خاضها في بطولة الأمم المتحدة عام 1912.

فاز سندرلاند ببطولة دوري الدرجة الأولى لكرة القدم في موسم 1912-13. قدمت أهداف هولي مساهمة مهمة ، وللأسف لم يكن لائقًا تمامًا في نهائي كأس الاتحاد الإنجليزي في ذلك الموسم عندما خسر الفريق 1-0 أمام أستون فيلا.

غادر هولي سندرلاند ليلعب مع فريق برايتون هوف ألبيون في عام 1914. خلال فترة وجوده في النادي سجل 154 هدفاً في 315 مباراة. كما سجل ثمانية أهداف في عشر مباريات لمنتخب إنجلترا خلال هذه الفترة.

توفي جورج هولي ، الذي عمل لاحقًا كمدرب لفريق سندرلاند ، في عام 1942.

عندما يصبح بعض الأولاد أجدادًا ، سيجمعون جيل الشباب حولهم ويخبرون قصة تينيسايد ، عن لاعبي كرة القدم الأقوياء في سندرلاند الذين سافروا إلى سانت جيمس بارك وسحقوا مشاهير نوفوكاستريين كما لو كانوا فقراءًا كثيرًا من المؤسسين. من بعض المنازل للمكفوفين. كانت أعظم مباراة في هذا الموسم بمثابة إحساس العام وسيتعين علينا إعادة الأيام إلى الوراء عندما كانت المباراة في مهدها لأداء موازٍ. لم أشاهد أبدًا المهاجمين الذين انتهزوا فرصهم بمزيد من الحماس والقوة الرادعة.

بدأت اللعبة في ظروف ضبابية مع هطول أمطار خفيفة. كان الشوط الأول أمرًا طبيعيًا بدرجة كافية ، حيث أخذ سندرلاند زمام المبادرة في تسع دقائق من خلال نقرة بسيطة بواسطة هوغ. لكن المباراة اندلعت في الشوط الأول ، حيث حصل نيوكاسل على ركلة جزاء مثيرة للجدل عندما حكم على طومسون بالكرة. غضب لاعبو سندرلاند من الحكم لكن احتجاجاتهم لم تحدث أي فرق. سدد شيبرد ركلة جزاء في الشباك وجعلها 1-1 في الشوط الثاني.

كانت صانعات سندرلاند غاضبة وخرجت مثل الرجال الممسوسين بعد استراحة الشوط الأول. مهاجمة Leazes End ، شرعوا في تدمير جانب البطولة هذا. تم تحطيم ثمانية أهداف أخرى خلال فترة نصف ساعة مذهلة ، ستة منها أتت في عشر دقائق فقط!

وتدحرجت هولي في القاعة بعد ثلاث دقائق فقط من بداية الشوط الثاني ، واستفاد المهاجم من تسديدة رائعة وتمريرة عرضية من بريدجيت مما تسبب في حدوث ارتباك في دفاع نيوكاسل. بعد عشر دقائق ، أدت سيطرة Lads المتزايدة على اللعبة إلى مزيد من الأرباح ، حيث حطم Hogg ثانيه في المباراة ليجعل النتيجة 3-1.

حتى الآن ، كان سندرلاند على القمة بشكل واضح ، لكن فترة مدمرة مدتها عشر دقائق كانت على وشك أن تصدم عالم كرة القدم بأسره. في الدقيقة 63 ، تجاوز هولي بذكاء اثنين من المدافعين ليجعل النتيجة 4-1 ، وبعد أربع دقائق أكمل قبعته بتسديدة صاعقة. بعد دقيقتين ، فاز بريدجيت في معركة على الكرة مع ويتسون قبل أن يدور حوله ويجعلها 6-1.

في مباراة لاحقة ، لعبت ضد برادفورد سيتي في فالي باريد. في أبريل الماضي فقط ، فاز سيتي بكأس الاتحاد الإفريقي. لقد كانوا فريقًا كبيرًا ، لكننا هزمناهم s-I ولم أر أبدًا عرضًا أفضل للعب من الداخل إلى الأمام من ذلك الذي قدمه جورج هولي ، يسارنا الداخلي.

لقد سجل ثلاثية رائعة ، حيث كان يجري ما يقرب من نصف طول الملعب في كل مرة ومراوغة الكرة بهدوء في جولة حارس المرمى جوك إيوارت قبل وضعها في الشباك.

لقد وقفت في الملعب عدة مرات وأنا أراقب هولي وهو يحير الخصم. بعد مباراة واحدة ، قال لي المدرب بوب كايل ، عندما دخلت لرسم حزمة الأجور الأسبوعية: "هل تعتقد أنك ربحتها؟"

أجبته: "لا ، لكني أعتقد أن جورج قد كسبها لنا جميعًا".

كانت هناك مناسبة أخرى بعد عام عندما سجلت خمسة أهداف في مرمى كينيث كامبل ، حارس المرمى الاسكتلندي الدولي ثم كنت ألعب مع ليفربول. أربعة منهم لمست في الشبكة. لقد هزمت هولي دفاعها وأبعدت كامبل عن مركزها قبل أن تمنحني الأهداف على لوحة.

كانت إحدى مباريات الموسم الأول ضد بريستون نورث إند في ديبديل. ارتدى تيم كولمان ، من الداخل من اليسار في ذلك اليوم ، شاربًا سميكًا أسود اللون ولعب طوال الشوط الأول وهو عالق على شفته العليا.

خلال الفترة الفاصلة أزالها وأخذ الميدان بتعبير بريء. لاحظ الحكم الفارق على الفور وتحدث إلى كولمان بشأنه. كان يعتقد أننا وضعنا بديلاً. كان كولمان جوكرًا راسخًا ولاعب كرة قدم كبير لعب لمنتخب إنجلترا.

إذا كان هناك جحيم على هذا الكوكب المتقلب في بعض الأحيان ، فيجب أن يكون هذا المكان الحار والمليء بالغبار والمرض. إذا رأيت شظايا شاب شجاع كان جسده ... أو ما تبقى منه ... قد انتفخ بشكل كبير بفعل الشمس ، فقد رأيت عدة مئات. القصف لا هوادة فيه لدرجة أنك أصبحت معتادًا على لحنه ، وهو معدل دائم يكمله انفجار قذائف ... وطبيب بيطري في الليل تكون النجوم ساطعة للغاية في هذه أكبر السماء بحيث لا يسع المرء إلا أن ينتشر مع الشعور بالهدوء والغرابة كما يبدو.


هولي جورج صورة 6 سندرلاند 1912

يرجى اختيار حجم صورتك من القائمة المنسدلة أدناه.

إذا كنت ترغب في وضع صورتك في إطار ، يرجى تحديد "نعم".
ملاحظة: 16 & # 8243x 20 & # 8243 غير متوفر في إطار.

يمكن أيضًا إضافة الصور إلى الملحقات. للطلب يرجى اتباع هذه الروابط

وصف

ولد جورج هولي في الداخل في سيهام بمقاطعة دورهام ولعب كرة القدم المحلية لثلاثة أندية مختلفة من سيهام: سيهام أثليتيك في عام 1901 وسيهام فيلا في عام 1902 وبطل دوري ويرسايد سيهام وايت ستار في عام 1903 قبل أن ينضم إلى الدرجة الأولى سندرلاند في نوفمبر 1904. في البداية ، لعب هولي في الاحتياط حيث كان هدافًا منتظمًا ، على الرغم من أنه سجل أول أهداف في دوري كرة القدم خارج أرضه أمام شيفيلد وينزداي بالتعادل 1-1 في 27 ديسمبر 1904. بعد انتقال ألف كومون إلى ميدلسبره في فبراير 1905 ، أصبح هولي أول فريق منتظم.

في مواسمه القليلة الأولى في Roker Park ، طغى عليه آرثر بريدجيت على أنه هداف الأهداف ، ولكن في 1907-08 كان هداف النادي رقم 8217 برصيد 24 هدفًا في الدوري. في الخامس من كانون الأول (ديسمبر) 1908 ، سجل هولي ثلاثية في فوز بنتيجة 9-1 على ملعب سانت جيمس & # 8217 بارك على غريمه المحلي اللدود نيوكاسل يونايتد ، حيث جاءت الأهداف الأخرى من بيلي هوغ (ثلاثية أخرى) ، بريدجيت (اثنان) جاكي موردو. على الرغم من ذلك ، أنهى سندرلاند موسم 1908-09 في المركز الثالث ، مع احتلال نيوكاسل لقب دوري أبطال أوروبا.

فاز هولي بأول مباراة دولية له مع منتخب إنجلترا ضد ويلز في 15 مارس 1909 ، حيث لعب على الجانب الأيمن إلى جانب زميله في فريق سندرلاند ، آرثر بريدجيت ، وسجل هولي بعد 15 دقيقة من فوز إنجلترا بنتيجة 2-0. تم اختيار هولي أيضًا لجولة أوروبا الصيفية لعام 1909 ، حيث لعب في جميع المباريات الثلاث ، وسجل هدفين في كل من الفوز 8-2 على المجر والانتصار 8-1 على النمسا. سجل هولي خمسة أهداف في خمس مباريات دولية ذلك الموسم. والمثير للدهشة أنه تم استبعاده من الفريق بعد فشله في التسجيل في المباراة الأولى (ضد ويلز) في الموسم التالي. ومع ذلك ، فقد ذهب في جولة الاتحاد الإنجليزي لجنوب إفريقيا في صيف عام 1910 ، وسجل 3 أهداف في 3 & # 8220 مباريات اختبار & # 8221 ضد جنوب أفريقيا. كما شارك في 5 مباريات مع دوري كرة القدم في مباريات تمثيلية.

استمر هولي في تسجيل الكثير من الأهداف لصالح سندرلاند وانتهى به الأمر كأفضل هداف مشترك في دوري الدرجة الأولى في موسم 1911-12 برصيد 25 هدفًا. خلال الموسم سجل أربعة أهداف في هزيمة مانشستر يونايتد 5-0 على ملعب روكر بارك في 27 يناير 1912 ، وكذلك ثلاثية في الفوز 4-0 على إيفرتون في أبريل. كما استعاد مكانه في المنتخب الإنجليزي وسجل في جميع المباريات الثلاث التي خاضها في بطولة بريطانيا المنزلية عام 1912.

فاز سندرلاند ببطولة الدوري في موسم 1912-13. هولي & # 8217s 12 هدفا قدمت مساهمة مهمة على الرغم من أن الهداف & # 8217s كان تشارلي بوكان برصيد 27 هدفا. جادل بوكان في وقت لاحق أنه في مباراة ضد برادفورد سيتي في الثاني من نوفمبر عام 1912 ، كان أداء هولي & # 8217 هو أفضل ما شاهده مهاجم داخلي. & # 8220 لقد سجل ثلاثية رائعة ، حيث كان يجري ما يقرب من نصف طول الملعب في كل مرة ومراوغة الكرة بهدوء في جولة حارس المرمى جوك إيوارت قبل وضعها في الشباك. نهائي كأس الاتحاد الإنجليزي 1-0 أمام أستون فيلا على ملعب كريستال بالاس. لم يكن هولي لائقًا تمامًا لنهائي الكأس ودخل المباراة مع ضمادات كاحله وركبته.

لعب هولي مباراته الأخيرة مع سندرلاند ضد إيفرتون في أبريل 1915 ، وبعد ذلك توقفت مسيرته بسبب تعليق كرة القدم وقت السلم مع قدوم الحرب العالمية الأولى ، بعد أن سجل 160 هدفًا في 360 مباراة. كان هداف سندرلاند & # 8217s في خمسة مواسم منفصلة وخلال الفترة التي قضاها في النادي. إجمالاً ، سجل تسع ثلاثيات مع سندرلاند ولم يتفوق على سجله التهديدي إلا بوبي جورني وتشارلي بوكان وديف هاليداي.

بعد الحرب ، غادر هولي سندرلاند ليلعب مع فريق برايتون أند أمب هوف ألبيون في يوليو 1919. تقاعد من اللعب في عام 1920 وعاد إلى سندرلاند في يناير 1921 لمدة 18 شهرًا كمدرب. بعد ذلك ، قضى فترات تدريب في ولفرهامبتون واندرارز لمدة عشر سنوات ثم في بارنسلي.

لعب ابنه توم دور مدافع مركزي لبارنسلي من عام 1932 إلى عام 1936 ، ثم ليدز يونايتد من عام 1936 إلى عام 1948.

ملحوظة: على الرغم من أن هذه الصورة نُشرت في عام 1912 ، إلا أنها لا تزال تستخدم صورة فوتوغرافية ربما التقطت قبل 4 سنوات!


هولي جورج صورة 2 سندرلاند 1908

يرجى اختيار حجم صورتك من القائمة المنسدلة أدناه.

إذا كنت ترغب في وضع صورتك في إطار ، يرجى تحديد "نعم".
ملاحظة: 16 & # 8243x 20 & # 8243 غير متوفر في إطار.

يمكن أيضًا إضافة الصور إلى الملحقات. للطلب يرجى اتباع هذه الروابط

وصف

في الداخل ، ولد جورج هولي في سيهام ، مقاطعة دورهام ولعب كرة القدم المحلية لثلاثة أندية مختلفة من سيهام: سيهام أثليتيك في عام 1901 ، وسيهام فيلا في عام 1902 ، وبطل دوري ويرسايد سيهام وايت ستار في عام 1903 قبل أن ينضم إلى الدرجة الأولى سندرلاند في نوفمبر 1904. في البداية ، لعب هولي في الاحتياط حيث كان هدافًا منتظمًا ، على الرغم من أنه سجل أول أهداف في دوري كرة القدم خارج أرضه أمام شيفيلد وينزداي بالتعادل 1-1 في 27 ديسمبر 1904. بعد انتقال ألف كومون إلى ميدلسبره في فبراير 1905 ، أصبح هولي أول فريق منتظم.

في مواسمه القليلة الأولى في Roker Park ، طغى عليه آرثر بريدجيت على أنه هداف الأهداف ، ولكن في 1907-08 كان هداف النادي رقم 8217 برصيد 24 هدفًا في الدوري. في الخامس من كانون الأول (ديسمبر) 1908 ، سجل هولي ثلاثية في فوز بنتيجة 9-1 على ملعب سانت جيمس & # 8217 بارك على غريمه المحلي اللدود نيوكاسل يونايتد ، حيث جاءت الأهداف الأخرى من بيلي هوغ (ثلاثية أخرى) ، بريدجيت (اثنان) جاكي موردو. على الرغم من ذلك ، أنهى سندرلاند موسم 1908-09 في المركز الثالث ، مع احتلال نيوكاسل لقب دوري أبطال أوروبا.

فاز هولي بأول مباراة دولية له مع منتخب إنجلترا ضد ويلز في 15 مارس 1909 ، حيث لعب على الجانب الأيمن إلى جانب زميله في فريق سندرلاند ، آرثر بريدجيت ، وسجل هولي بعد 15 دقيقة من فوز إنجلترا بنتيجة 2-0. تم اختيار هولي أيضًا لجولة أوروبا الصيفية لعام 1909 ، حيث لعب في جميع المباريات الثلاث ، وسجل هدفين في كل من الفوز 8-2 على المجر والانتصار 8-1 على النمسا. سجل هولي خمسة أهداف في خمس مباريات دولية ذلك الموسم. والمثير للدهشة أنه تم استبعاده من الفريق بعد فشله في التسجيل في المباراة الأولى (ضد ويلز) في الموسم التالي. ومع ذلك ، فقد ذهب في جولة الاتحاد الإنجليزي لجنوب إفريقيا في صيف عام 1910 ، وسجل 3 أهداف في 3 & # 8220 مباريات اختبار & # 8221 ضد جنوب أفريقيا. كما شارك في 5 مباريات مع دوري كرة القدم في مباريات تمثيلية.

استمر هولي في تسجيل الكثير من الأهداف لصالح سندرلاند وانتهى به الأمر كأفضل هداف مشترك في دوري الدرجة الأولى في موسم 1911-12 برصيد 25 هدفًا. خلال الموسم سجل أربعة أهداف في هزيمة مانشستر يونايتد 5-0 على ملعب روكر بارك في 27 يناير 1912 ، وكذلك ثلاثية في الفوز 4-0 على إيفرتون في أبريل. كما استعاد مكانه في المنتخب الإنجليزي وسجل في جميع المباريات الثلاث التي خاضها في بطولة بريطانيا المنزلية عام 1912.

فاز سندرلاند ببطولة الدوري في موسم 1912-13. هولي & # 8217s 12 هدفا قدمت مساهمة مهمة على الرغم من أن الهداف & # 8217s كان تشارلي بوكان برصيد 27 هدفا. جادل بوكان في وقت لاحق أنه في مباراة ضد برادفورد سيتي في الثاني من نوفمبر عام 1912 ، كان أداء هولي & # 8217 هو أفضل ما شاهده مهاجم داخلي. & # 8220 لقد سجل ثلاثية رائعة ، حيث كان يجري ما يقرب من نصف طول الملعب في كل مرة ومراوغة الكرة بهدوء في جولة حارس المرمى جوك إيوارت قبل وضعها في الشباك. نهائي كأس الاتحاد الإنجليزي 1-0 أمام أستون فيلا على ملعب كريستال بالاس. لم يكن هولي لائقًا تمامًا لنهائي الكأس ودخل المباراة مع ضمادات كاحله وركبته.

لعب هولي مباراته الأخيرة مع سندرلاند ضد إيفرتون في أبريل 1915 ، وبعد ذلك توقفت مسيرته بسبب تعليق كرة القدم وقت السلم مع قدوم الحرب العالمية الأولى ، بعد أن سجل 160 هدفًا في 360 مباراة. كان هداف سندرلاند & # 8217s في خمسة مواسم منفصلة وخلال الفترة التي قضاها في النادي. إجمالاً ، سجل تسع ثلاثيات مع سندرلاند ولم يتفوق على سجله التهديدي إلا بوبي جورني وتشارلي بوكان وديف هاليداي.

بعد الحرب ، غادر هولي سندرلاند ليلعب مع فريق برايتون أند أمب هوف ألبيون في يوليو 1919. تقاعد من اللعب في عام 1920 وعاد إلى سندرلاند في يناير 1921 لمدة 18 شهرًا كمدرب. بعد ذلك ، قضى فترات تدريب في ولفرهامبتون واندرارز لمدة عشر سنوات ثم في بارنسلي.

لعب ابنه توم دور مدافع مركزي لبارنسلي من عام 1932 إلى عام 1936 ، ثم ليدز يونايتد من عام 1936 إلى عام 1948.


هل تعلم أن هولي بدأت في صناعة السيارات والدراجات النارية؟

Holley هو اسم معروف جيدًا لأصحاب القضبان الساخنة ، لكن قلة من الناس يدركون أن Holley قام بمحاولات لبناء دراجة نارية وسيارة في وقت مبكر من تاريخ الشركة ، قبل أن يستقر جورج هولي لتزويد Henry Ford بمكربنات للطراز الشهير T. من هذه الجذور جاء عملاق ما بعد البيع للسيارات الموجود اليوم.

ولد جورج إم هولي في بورت جيرفيس ، نيويورك عام 1878. بعد أن ترك المدرسة ، كرس حياته لصناعة السيارات والدراجات النارية والمكربن. بعد الانتقال إلى برادفورد ، بنسلفانيا ، بدأ جورج وشقيقه إيرل في العبث بأعمال السبك. لقد تعلموا كيفية صنع أنماط خشبية ومسبوكات رملية خضراء لبناء محرك أحادي الأسطوانة. بحلول الوقت الذي كان فيه جورج يبلغ من العمر 19 عامًا ، قام بتصميم وبناء عربة ذات ثلاث عجلات ، وعربة ذات أسطوانة واحدة يمكن أن تصل سرعتها إلى 30 ميلاً في الساعة. تزن سيارة جورج 306 رطلاً ، وكان يبلغ وزنها 60 بوصة. قاعدة العجلات ويستخدم محرك ثنائي الأسطوانات 9 حصان. كان لديه ناقل حركة بسرعتين للأمام وليس للخلف. بحلول عام 1899 ، تم زرع البذور لأول شركة تصنيع لجورج. في عام 1901 ، بعد زيارة باريس بفرنسا ، حصل هولي وشقيقه إيرل على ترخيص لإنتاج وبيع المكربن ​​الفرنسي Longuemare (المعروف باسم "وعاء الحديد") في الولايات المتحدة. في ذلك العام ، بنى جورج دراجته النارية الأولى. يمكن أن تذهب حوالي 25 ميلا في الساعة.

وفقًا لقسم Holley Motor Cycle من The Historical Bradford Illustrated 1901 (تم تحريره بواسطة Vernelle A. Hatch) ، كانت Holley Motor Cycle - أو الأصح هو Holley "Auto-Bike" - آلة ذات تصميم فريد. كانت دراجة بمحركات تتطلب خمس سنوات من الدراسة الدقيقة والتجريب حتى تتقنها. ادعى جورج هولي أنه "الأول من نوعه للاستخدام اليومي العملي الذي تم بناؤه حتى الآن". جمعت Holley Auto-Bike بين وسائل الراحة التي تتمتع بها الدراجة العادية وقوة السيارة وسرعتها. أطلق عليها هولي اسم "أفضل ما في العالمين دون مضايقات أي منهما." على سبيل الاقتباس من نشرة مبيعات ، "لقد انحرف المصنعون عن العادة الشائعة المتمثلة في تثبيت محرك إلى جزء من دراجة عادية وبدلاً من ذلك جعلوه جزءًا لا يتجزأ من الإطار عن طريق لحامه بالنحاس في قوس كرنك ، وهو الأقل والأقوى جزء من الدراجة. وبهذه الطريقة ، سيولد المحرك طاقته الكاملة وسيؤدي التوزيع العلمي للوزن إلى التخلص من الاهتزازات ، وسيزيد من متانة الماكينة ويزيد من سرعتها وخصائص تشغيلها السهلة ".

يمكن للمحرك القياسي 2-1 / 4-hp دفع Holley Auto-Bike بمعدل 35 ميلاً في الساعة فوق طريق ريفي عادي في تلك الحقبة. ستصعد أيضًا درجة 20 بالمائة بدون استخدام الدواسات. تبلغ سعة خزان البنزين جالونًا واحدًا ، وهو ما يكفي لتشغيل المحرك لمسافة 50 ميلًا. كانت الإطارات بارتفاع 22 أو 24 بوصة وكان قطر العجلات 28 بوصة. تم تصنيع جميع المعدات القياسية خصيصًا لهذه الماكينة. تم تصنيع Auto-Bike في برادفورد بولاية بنسلفانيا من قبل شركة Holley Motor Company في مصنع في شارع Davis Street. بحلول عام 1901 ، قال جورج إن الشركة التي بدأت في سبتمبر 1899 "اجتازت المرحلة التجريبية". شغل جورج منصب رئيس مجلس الإدارة وكبير المهندسين وبائع. كان إيرل رئيسًا وتولى إدارة الأعمال والشؤون المالية ، حيث كان يعمل سابقًا كصراف في البنك. يُزعم أن المصنع مجهز بأفضل الآلات ولديه قدرة كافية لإنتاج خمس دراجات آلية يوميًا.

وفقًا لمقال The Bradford Era بعنوان "Broke All Records" (22 أغسطس 1901): "قام جورج إم هولي ودراجته النارية ببعض الرحلات السريعة. كان قد عاد لتوه من بوفالو ، نيويورك ، حيث عرض آله في International Bicycle السباقات في ملعب عموم أمريكا. ركب هولي معرضًا بطول 5 أميال ضد سجلات البطولة وحطم جميع الأرقام القياسية الموجودة من ميل واحد إلى خمسة أميال ".

احتوى منشور يسمى The Express على إشارة إلى الحدث أيضًا. "ميزة أخرى لليوم كانت أداء جنرال موتورز هولي على محركه الفردي" ، كما جاء في الرسالة. "كان هولي يمزق حول المسار بعد الرقم القياسي الذي يبلغ 5 أميال عندما فقد السيطرة على محركه الذي يدور في النهاية عند النهاية وانطلق في الاتجاه المعاكس. طبق اللوحة. كان الضرر الوحيد هو إثارة المسؤولين. لم يفقد هولي أبدًا حضوره الذهني ولم يحاول التراجع ، ولكنه أغلق التيار الكهربائي واستمر في الرحلة. خفض جميع العلامات الموجودة لمسافة خمسة أميال ".

تابع مقال 22 أغسطس 1901 من The Bradford Era: "في الحدث رقم 4 ، كان معرضًا يمتد على مسافة خمسة أميال على دراجة بمحرك واحد ممسك به هولي ، كان الوقت بالأميال: أولاً ، 1:24 ثانية ، 2:50 2 -5 ثالثًا ، 4:16 3-5 رابعًا ، 5:44. الذهاب إلى الميل الخامس ، ركض هولي عن المسار ، لكنه حطم جميع الأرقام القياسية حتى أربعة أميال. كانت سجلات الدراجات النارية السابقة هي: ميل واحد ، 1 : 26 2-5 ، بقلم Champion at Charles River Park ، كامبريدج ، ماساتشوستس ، 31 يوليو 1901 ، خمسة أميال ، 7:16 2-5 ، صنعها شامبيان أيضًا (كذا). في تجربة هولي الثانية ، ركب خمسة أميال على النحو التالي: أولاً ، 1:23 1-5 ثانية ، 2:47 ثالثًا ، 4:11 3-5 رابعًا ، 5:38 خامسًا ، 7:10 1-5. كل هذه الأشواط كانت أرقام قياسية في العالم. كان من المقرر أن يعود هولي إلى بوفالو في اليوم التالي وفي اليوم التالي للتنافس في سباقات الدراجات النارية في الملعب. تم بالفعل ترتيب سباق خاص على الدراجات النارية ذات المحرك الواحد بين جورج هولي من برادفورد وجورج بتلر من بوفالو ".

وفقًا لإصدار أبريل 1902 من The Dealer and Repairman ، كانت Holley Auto-Bike "واحدة من رواد صناعة المحركات المدمجة وقبل أن يبدأ المصنعون الآخرون في دمج المحرك في الإطار تقريبًا ، أنتجت آلة مع بنية فريدة من نوعها من حيث أن علبة المحرك تم لحامها بالنحاس في الإطار وتم استخدامها كقوس سفلي منها ". تم الوصول إلى الطرف السفلي للمحرك عبر لوحة جانبية لعلبة المرافق قابلة للإزالة. في وقت لاحق ، تم تصنيع Holley Auto-Bike تحت اسم Phillips and Hamilton ، وهي شركة مقرها أيضًا برادفورد ، بنسلفانيا.واصل فيليبس وهاملتون تصنيع تصميم Holley طوال الطريق حتى عام 1911.

كانت Holley Auto-Bike في الأساس دراجة آلية. بها خزان مربوط بالقضيب العلوي لدراجة "رجل". يوجد أيضًا خزان وقود مربوط بالقضيب الخلفي بدلاً من الزوايا أسفل محور العجلة الخلفية. يوجد خزان تفريغ بين خزان الوقود الخلفي والمحرك. يوجد المحرك الرأسي أحادي الأسطوانة في عضو أنبوبي على شكل حرف U في الجزء السفلي من شريط الإطار الذي يدعم السرج في نهايته العليا. مبيت العمود المرفقي المستدير أسفل المحرك. يتم نقل القيادة بواسطة حزام من الجانب الأيسر من محور التدوير النحاسي إلى حافة أو شفة على حافة العجلة الخلفية التي تبرز إلى اليسار. المكربن ​​الفرنسي Longuemare مركب بالقرب من "الزاوية" اليسرى الأمامية للمحرك بالقرب من رأس الأسطوانة المزعنف. تتميز مقود الدراجة ذات نمط الدراجة Auto-Bike بقبضات مطاطية سوداء والسرج أو المقعد ، الذي يحتوي على نوابض صغيرة أسفله ونابض ملف واحد في الخلف ، مصنوع من الجلد الأسود المقلد. تم طلاء Auto-Bike باللون البرتقالي والأحمر. توجد دواسات وسلسلة دراجات على الجانب الأيمن. في الدراجات البخارية القديمة ، تم استخدام الدواسات لمساعدة المحرك الصغير في دفع الدراجة إلى أعلى التلال شديدة الانحدار أو في حالة وجود خزان وقود فارغ.

بيعت Holley Auto-Bike مقابل 200 دولار ووزنها 104 رطلاً. كان المحرك المبرد بالماء أحادي الأسطوانة من النوع F-head ، مع وجود صمامات مدخل فوق صمامات العادم. كانت إزاحة الأسطوانة حوالي 21 بوصة مكعبة (أو 350 سم مكعب). تم تغذية المكربن ​​Longuemare الفرنسي بالجاذبية من 4-1 / 2 كيو تي. خزان الغاز. تستخدم Auto-Bike نظام محرك الحزام ويمكن أن تقطع حوالي 100 ميل على جالون من البنزين.

في عام 1902 ، وضع الأخوان أول جولة هاربة رباعية الدفع. كانت السيارة الصغيرة ولكن الجميلة حمراء زاهية مع حواف معدنية لامعة. أطلق عليها اسم Motorette وكان تصنيعها بمثابة بداية لشركة Holley Motor Co. وبيع Holley Motorette Holley مقابل 650 دولارًا. كان لديه محرك أحادي الأسطوانة بقوة 5 حصان ومبرد بالمياه في المقدمة ويزن حوالي 850 رطلاً. تتميز بجسم على طراز Runabout بمقعدين مع مقدمة مجرفة ذات ستة فتحات مائلة على جانبيها وأربع فتحات في المقدمة. كل اللوفر لديه زخرفة نحاسية لامعة. خطوط نحاسية اللون تتناقص في الأمام وتحيط بالحواف العلوية للغطاء. تم تحديد اللون الأحمر اللامع لـ Motorette بواسطة قطع نحاسية أخرى ، مثل مقبض على شكل خزانة لرفع غطاء المحرك ، ومصابيح جانبية نحاسية على القلنسوة ، ولوحة فحص نحاسية أعلى غطاء المحرك ، وزخرفة نحاسية على الجزء الخارجي من لوحة القيادة وعمود التوجيه النحاسي وأغطية الوصلات النحاسية. تزين أغطية المحاور عجلات مدفعية ذات برامق خشبية باللون الأحمر. تم تركيب مجموعة من أربعة إطارات جانبية سوداء مقاس 26 × 2.12. تم تنجيد المقعد الفردي لموتوريت بجلد معنقد. كانت الرفارف اللامعة ، ومعدات الجري ومقابض فرامل اليد سوداء. كان هناك عجلة قيادة خشبية. تم تركيب سباكة نظام الوقود وصندوق ملفات خشبي على جانب السائق من لوحة القيادة الحمراء. كان للأرضية سطح من الألواح الماسية مع بساط مطاطي متعدد الفتحات يغطيه. كانت عجلة القيادة والدواسات على اليمين. كانت هناك بدالتان من النحاس وكانت دواسة الفرامل سوداء. كان هناك كربيد نحاسي واحد أو ضوء خلفي يعمل بالغاز على الجانب الأيمن. تم الانتهاء من أنبوب العادم وكاتم الصوت أسفل السيارة من الألومنيوم. تقول الروايات التاريخية أن هولي صنع "أكثر من 600 سيارة". تنتج محركاتها ذات الأسطوانة الواحدة والمبردة بالماء والحديد الزهر طاقة متواضعة. كان هولي أحد صانعي السيارات القلائل الذين اختاروا عدم التخمين في القدرة الحصانية أو المبالغة فيها. كشفت الاختبارات أن محرك Motorette طور 5.27 حصان.

في عام 1902 ، تحول الأخوان هولي من صناعة السيارات إلى صناعة المكربن ​​، كما اقترح هنري فورد. في عام 1903 ، طلب فورد من جورج هولي أن يصنع مكربنًا لطرازه تي ، أول سيارة منتجة بكميات كبيرة ، والتي بيعت بجنون. تم بيع شركة Holley Motor بعد ذلك إلى مستثمرين محليين ، الذين تولى المسؤولية في عام 1904 وعمل لفترة باسم Bradford Motor Works. تقول المصادر إنهم باعوا عددًا قليلاً من السيارات التي تحمل علامة هولي التجارية وقاموا ببناء سيارات إضافية تحمل علامة برادفورد. قاموا أيضًا بتصفية الأجزاء غير المستخدمة من خلال بيعها كمجموعة لسيارات برادفورد التي يتم تصنيعها في المنزل. تتكلف المجموعات 277.50 دولارًا مقابل 650 دولارًا لسيارة كاملة.

بعد الانتقال إلى ديترويت ، ميتشيغان ، اخترع الأخوان هولي المكربن ​​الخاص بهم وشرع جورج في تسويقه بنجاح. كان هذا بمثابة ظهور شركة Holley Carburetor في ديترويت. في عام 1917 ، تم شراء الأخوين هولي من قبل فورد.

عاد هولي لاحقًا إلى أعمال المكربن. توسعت الشركة خلال زمن السلم والحرب. تم استخدام المكربنات الخاصة بها في طائرات DC-3 وقوارب PT التي تعمل بالطاقة Packard والقاذفات B-25. بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية ، ركز هولي على صنع مكربن ​​أفضل أداء وبيع قطع غيار.

عندما انطلقت القوارب الساخنة ، تم العثور على مكربن ​​فائض الحرب مثل Holley 94s الشهير في العديد من سيارات السباق بالبحيرات الجافة. شهدت الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي تقديم طراز Holley Model 4150 رباعي البراميل على Ford Thunderbird عام 1957. لقد كانت بداية أربع براميل معيارية اليوم وأول مكربن ​​أداء حقيقي. شهدت الستينيات أن موديل 4150 أصبح معدات أصلية في سيارات مثل Z28 Camaros و Chevelle LS6s و Boss Mustangs و Shelby Cobras. شهد هذا العصر أيضًا إدخال كربوهيدرات هولي بثلاثة أسطوانات على Tri-Power Corvettes و Mopars المجهزة بستة حزم.

من السبعينيات وحتى الأوقات الحالية ، استمرت هولي في الابتكار والنمو. بالإضافة إلى المكربن ​​، طورت الشركة مجموعات حقن الوقود الإلكتروني (EFI) ، مثل نظام ProJection الذي تم تصميمه ليحل محل المكربن ​​في السيارات القديمة. دخلت هولي أيضًا في مجال سباكة السيارات مع Earl's Plumbing ، وأسواق العادم مع Hooker Headers و Flowmaster ، وحتى سوق الشاحن الفائق مع Weiand. لعبت هولي أيضًا دورًا أساسيًا في إنشاء لقاءات جماهيرية شهيرة ، بما في ذلك LS Fest ومهرجان Intergalactic Ford و MoParty. إنه بعيد كل البعد عن ذلك المتجر في برادفورد ، بنسلفانيا.

تنجو دراجة Holley Auto-Bike وثلاثة على الأقل (ربما أربعة) من طراز Holley Motorettes. تنتمي Auto-Bike (الرقم التسلسلي 054) و Motorette ذات الرقم التسلسلي 706 إلى الراحل Margery Holley Uihlein التي كانت ابنة جورج هولي. توجد سيارة ثانية في مقر هولي في بولينج جرين ، كين. توجد اختلافات طفيفة جدًا بين هذه السيارات في لون التنجيد وتخطيطات حجرة المحرك وعناصر التحكم. السيارة في Bowling Green تحمل لوحة ترخيص Michigan Historic 1537 وهي من طراز 1904. سنة الطراز لها تأثير كبير على قيمة هاتين السيارتين. كلاهما في حالة محفوظة جيدًا وكلاهما نادر ، لكن التأريخ يؤثر أيضًا على قيمهما. فقط عام 1904 وما قبله من السيارات مؤهل للدخول في السباق الشهير من لندن إلى برايتون للسيارات الرائدة والذي يقام سنويًا في إنجلترا. السيارات من لندن إلى برايتون تساوي أكثر من السيارات اللاحقة ، حتى لو كانت متطابقة ، بخلاف سنة الصنع. فيما يتعلق بإمكانية وجود هولي موتورتس الثالث والرابع ، فقد صادف كل من مؤسس متحف السيارات ومحرر إحدى نشرات جمع السيارات سيارات هولي. قام مارك توماس ، الذي أسس متحف بونتياك للنقل في بونتياك بولاية ميشيغان ، ويعمل على إحياء متحف FWD-Seagrave في كلينتونفيل بولاية ويسكونسن ، بالتقاط صور لسيارة Holley Motorette التي تم بيعها في مزاد في بورتلاند بولاية ميشيغان. في يوليو أو أغسطس 2018.

قبل بضع سنوات ، تحدث أنجيلو فان بوجارت ، محرر OLD CARS ، إلى زوجين كانا يمتلكان هولي أثناء حضوره لقاء نادي السيارات العتيقة في أمريكا فالقابل الوطني في هيرشي ، بنسلفانيا. يمكن أن تكون هذه السيارات مختلفة أو يمكن أن يكون كلاهما السيارة التي انتهى بها المطاف في مقر هولي. استمرت الشائعات أيضًا عن وجود هولي في متحف للسيارات. يشعر الخبراء ، بمن فيهم دانا ميكوم صاحبة مزادات السيارات الجامعة ، وريتشي كلاين - المدير السابق لمجموعة إمبريال بالاس للسيارات في لاس فيغاس - أن كل من مجموعة Auto-Bike و Motorette التابعة لعائلة Uihlein يمكن أن تساوي ستة أرقام بسبب الروابط العائلية في Holley. من المحتمل أن تكون قيمة سيارات هولي الأخرى في نطاق يتراوح بين 20000 و 25000 دولار. لا يوجد دليل على وجود Holley Auto-Bike آخر ، ولكن إذا حدث ذلك ، بناءً على مبيعات دراجة نارية مماثلة في وقت مبكر ، فقد تصل قيمتها إلى 45000 دولار إلى 85000 دولار.


اشترك في النشرة الإخبارية اليومية لدينا

من بين التلاميذ السابقين المشهورين الصحفية كيت أدي ، وخالة الألم دينيس روبرتسون ، والشاعرة إيلين أوشونيسي ، التي كانت أيضًا زوجة جورج أورويل.

كان كارلتون هاوس أيضًا مسقط رأس جورج مالينغ ، الذي كان يحمل لوحة زرقاء هناك. جعلته بطولاته في الحرب العالمية الأولى الشخص الوحيد من سندرلاند الذي حصل على صليب فيكتوريا.

تم بناء العقار المكون من خمس غرف نوم والمبني بالحجارة في عام 1850 عندما أطلق عليه اسم Nicholson House على اسم William Nicholson ، الذي جمع ثروته في توريد تركيبات النحاس والنحاس الأصفر والحديد لصناعة بناء السفن.

تم منح إذن التخطيط في فبراير 2019 لتغيير استخدام منزلين.

على بعد ياردات قليلة يوجد برج لانجهام المكون من ثلاثة طوابق على طراز تيودور ، والذي تم بناؤه في الأصل عام 1889 ويشتهر بدرجه الخشبي الرائع ونوافذه الزجاجية الملونة.

تم استخدامه ككلية لتدريب المعلمين من عام 1922 ، قبل أن تصبح جزءًا من جامعة ساندرلاند بوليتكنيك ، لاحقًا الجامعة ، في عام 1975. استحوذت عليها مدرسة سندرلاند الثانوية في عام 2006 ، حتى إغلاق المدرسة بعد ذلك بعقد من الزمن.

لدى Langham Tower الآن إذن تخطيط لتغيير الاستخدام من مدرسة إلى فندق. وسيشمل ذلك مطعمًا وبارًا في الطابق الأرضي ، وسبع غرف ضيوف بحمامات داخلية في الطابق الأول ، مع إقامة إدارية في الطابق الثاني.

كلا العقارين عبارة عن مبانٍ من الدرجة الثانية. Estate agents Bradley Hall have an asking price of £999,950 for Langhan Tower.

Carlton House is also on sale for £999,950 or alternatively for £699,950 with individual development plots with planning available for £399,950.


George Holley : Sunderland - History

1895: Original Holley Carburetor Factory
Part of the Bovaird and Seyfang Building
24-34 Davis St. Bradford, PA

Photo Credit: Bradford Landmark Society Archives

Read articles about George Holley:

T he exact origins of the original Holley factory are rather unclear. One paper says that George Holley's workshop was located "across the street" from the Holley Hotel in the Bovaird & Seyfang Building. However the B&S Building takes up an entire city block. We are unsure where exactly in this building George Holley's workshop was. This photograph is part of the building during the time period that George Holley would have been working inside.

It does however make sense that Holley would be working in this building because his good friend J. E. Cochran was the President and General Manager of the Bovaird and Seyfang Manufacturing Company. Mr. Cochran hleped finance the original automotive.

G eorge Holley was 19 when he designed and built a three-wheeled single-cylinder buggy which hit an impressive speed of 30 miles per hour in 1897. The car weighed 306 pounds, had a 60-inch wheelbase and a two-cylinder, nine-horse-power engine with 2 speeds forward and no reverse.

Later on, George and his brother, Earl, decided to form a company to manufacture motorcycle engines and motorcycles in Bradford, Pa. George became the chairman of the board along with engineer and salesman. Earl handled the business and finance part of the company as the president since he was once a bank teller.

In 1901, after a visit to Paris, France, the Holley brothers obtained a license to produce and sell the French Longuemare Carburator in the United States, also known as the "iron pot." That same year, George built his first motorbicycle that ran about 25 mph.

George enjoyed racing and in 1902, he won a motorycle endurance contest from Boston to New York and set world speed records at the Pan American races too. Read more about George Holley's motorcyle and races.

In 1903, Henry Ford asked George Holley to make a carburetor for the Model T. This is how George recalls his meeting with Henry Ford. “I first met Mr. Henry Ford, Sr., early in 1903. The Ford Motor Company wired asking me to come to Detroit. I went out to the Ford Motor company, on Kercheval Avenue, which was then an old frame building belonging to Mr. Malcomson, and had been used as a coal yard. I found Mr. Ford with Mr. C.H. Wills, sitting in the pattern shop on a bench, and they told me that they would like to have me design a carburetor for their new car. As I remember it, they were not actually in production, but were getting ready and at that time, Dodge Brothers were turning out the chassis, and they were putting on the wheels and the body, assembling the car, and setting it up. Mr. J.C. Couzens was the only man who had a office which was located out front on the second floor. I was to go back to Bradford, Pennsylvania, and design this new carburetor for them. The Model A carburetor I designed and brought back to Mr. Ford has a threaded outlet instead of a flange. Through the years we produced many different carburetors and ignition devices for Mr. Ford and Ford Motor Company.”

Because the Holley brothers sensed a trend in industrial specialization, they decided to concentrate on designing and building carburetors and ignition-system components for car makers such as Pierce-Arrow, Winston, Buick, and Ford. George and Earl along with George Welch decided to incoporate under the name of “Holley Brothers Company.

In 1904, their original “iron pot” carburetor was introduced for application on Oldsmobile and Ford Motor Cars.

In 1907, George and Earl Holley moved their company to Detriot and later supported the war effort by producing automotive, marine, and aviationary units.


Photo Credit for all "Runabout" Photos: www.trombinscar.com
العودة للقمة

The only drawing that a accompanied a Holley Chassis, the rest was left to the imagination of the buyer.

As can be imagined, assembling the chassis was a slow and laborious process, even with the aid of the solitary blue print supplied. The angle iron frame was drilled for spring hangers, shackle brakets, radius rod anchors, engine, transmission and all other component parts, witha hand operated thrust drill.
العودة للقمة

GEORGE HOLLEY, FORMER LOCAL RESIDENT, NAMED TO HALL OF FAME OF AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY
The Era, Bradford, PA,
Saturday May 4, 1946


George Holley, a former resident of Bradford, will be one of ten persons, pioneers of the motor industry, who have been selected for the Automotive Hall of Fame by the Automotive Manufacturers Association and the National Automotive Golden Jubilee Committee, according to announcement by Lt. Gen. William S. Knudsen, chairman of the industry committee for the celebration.

Marketed Carburetors
Mr. Holley is the son of the late Frank Holley who built and for many years conducted the Holley hotel here. Shortly after the turn of the century George and his brother Earl, left Bradford and went to Detroit where they manufactured the Holley carburetor which was used in the Fords and other makes of cars.
Before leaving for Detroit, George Holley built an automobile in the basement of the hotel and later put the vehicle on the market. The car, remembered for its oddity, was a three-wheel affair, one in front and two in the rear.
The car was built at Holley Motor Works now the site of Bradford Motor Works. The Holley brothers also were among the first to go into the motor bike industry in the United States and their product sold extensively.

Other Pioneers Named
During the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo in the early 1900’s, George Holley took the bike to Buffalo and set numerous records for two-wheel vehicles.

After moving to Detroit the two brothers invented a carburetor and George proceeded to make one which proved a success and also marked the rise in the industry of the Holley Carburetor Company in the Motor City.

The men who will be honored during the Automotive Golden Jubilee, May 29 to June 9, besides Mr. Holley, will be Edgar Apperson, pioneer builder and designer William C. Durant, automotive empire builder J. Frank Duryea, surviving member of the Duryea Brothers, makers of early gasoline motor wagons Henry Ford, father of the assembly line Charles B. King, who built and drove the first car in Detroit Charles W. Nash, who headed some of the industry’s largest companies Barney Oldfield, speed driver Ransom E. Olds, pioneer of mass production, and Alfred P. Sloan Jr., pioneer maker of auto parts.

Holley: A Century of Automotive Performance Progress
National Dragster Magazine
December 3, 2003

With a 100-year heritage of automotive history and a half century as a major corporation in Bowling Green, Ky., it was only natural that Holley was the enthusiastic sponsor of this year's inaugural Holley NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion presented by DuPont Automotive Finishes in Bowling Green. Holley has enjoyed decades of woking with NHRA and the sport's many hot rodding fans to further the advancement of high-performance drag racing.

It all began in Bradford, Pa., in 1896 when brothers George and Earl Holley took and intense interest in motorcyle racing and buldt a three-wheel vehicle powered by a single-cylinder engine. The vehicle was able to reach impressive speeds of 30 mph to earn its nickname, "the Runabout."

After a visit to Paris in 1901, the Holley brothers (now the Holley Motor Co.) obtained a license to produce and sell the Fench Longuemare carburetor in the United States. This decision redircted their focus toward the emerging automotive industry, and in 1903, the brothers began producing a car called the Holley Motorette, of which more than 600 were sold.

The business was incorporated under the name Holley Brothers Co., and its first original carburetor, called the iron pot, debuted in 1904. Designed for application on the curved-dash Oldsmobile, it later became standeard equipment on Ford vehicles as well.

The first Holley plant in Detroit opened in 1907, and following additional growth brought on by the burgeoning car industry and diversified industrial production as a result of World War I, the name of the business was changed to Holley Carburetor Co. in January 1918.

After developing carburetors used by such venerable names as Curtiss-Wright, American Airlines, Pan American Airlines, and the U.S. armed forces, Holley produced approximately half of all the military carburetors used in World War II.

Holley entered the automotive aftermarket in 1948, supplying carburetor repair kits and genuine Holley parts to garages and service stations. In 1952, a new 250,000-square-foot manufacturing plant was opened in Bowling Green, and product development continued with the first Holley modular carburetor, the mode 4150 that was made standard on the '57 Ford Thunderbird.

After a merger with Colt Industries in 1968, the Holley Replacement Parts Division was formed in 1979 to offer such parts as electrical and ignition components, intake manifolds, fuel pumps, and Mickey Thompson performance products, later followed by fuel-injection systems. In the early 1980s, a carburetor remanufacturing plant was opened in Springfield, Tenn.

When the Holley original-equipment division was purchased bu Borg-Warmer in 1994, Holley Replacement Parts was relocated to Bowling Green and the company name was changed to Holley Performance Products.


In May 1998, the senior management team purchased Holley from Coltec Industries Inc. the transaction involved the acquisition of the administrative office building, manufacturing plant, distribution center, and the Springfield remanufacturing facilty. Holley enacted plans to became a larger, more aggressive company with several strategically important company buyouts that included Hirel Technologies Fuel Injections, Weiand Automotive Industries, Lunati, Hooker Headers, Flow Tech and Amass exhaust products, NOS nitrous systems, and Earl's plumbing.

To support this broad ranged of performance and remanufactured products, Holley employs approcimately 475 people at its world headquarters and manufacturing complex in Bowling Green. Holley has long been an NHR major sponsor and has a major presence along the Manufacturers Midway at NHRA national events.

Having recently celebrated its 50th anniversary as a major employer in Bowling Green, Holley takes its corporate responsibility seriosly and donates thousands of dolars yearly to such causes as the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life, Special Olympics, Pregnancy Support Center, United Way, the fight against multiple sclerosis, and a multitude of local charity organizations.

With its 100 years of manufacturing heritage, Holley is stronger than ever in product offering, engineering capability, marketing expertise, and manufacturing efficiency, and its modern distribution facilty can support continued growth. Holley enters the 21st century as an aftermarket performance industry leader with excellent future prospects, and the city and citizens of Bowling Green will be the primary beneficiaries of Holley's future growth.

George Holley, Bradford Automotive Pioneer Is Dead
McKean County Democrat
Thursday July 4,1963


DETROIT- Funeral services were held Monday at Grosse Point Mich., Memorial Church, for
George Malvin Holley, pioneer automotive engineer who built his first car in Bradford, Pa., and later developed the "iron pot" carburetor for the first Model T. Ford. He died Thursday at a local hospital at the age of 85.

He was chairman of the board of the Holley Carburetor Co., and bearing his name in Bradford is the Holley Hotel and Holley Ave. in East Bradford, believed to be the site of one of his first plants. A native of Port Jervis, N.Y., Mr. Holley's family came to Bradford in the late 19th century. His father owned the Riddell House in that city, which later became the Holley Hotel.

George Holley established the Holley Motor Co. about 1900 for the manufacture of a motorcycle known as "Autobike." His first motor car developed in Bradford was an experimental three-wheeler which did 30 miles an hour.

Mr. Holley resided in the Detroit suburb of Grosse Point for many years, and was awarded the Charles Clifton trophy as a pioneer manufacturer of auto accessories. In 1902, Mr. Holley and his late brother, Earl, put out their first marketable automobile, The Motorette, which sold for $550. They built more than 600 vehicles in Detroit. In the same year, they were approached by Henry Ford about making a carburetor for the Model T, and the "iron pot" resulted, leading to a succession of carburetor and ignition devices designated and built by the Holley brothers for the Ford Motor Co.

They opened their Detroit plant in 1907 and also manufactured carburetors for E. R. Thomas, Pierce Arrow, Winton, Oldsmobile and Buick. Later, the firm entered the aviation field and in 1935 developed the carburetor that overcame icing. During Its history, the Holley Carburetor Co. has produced more than 15 million units for automotive, aviation and marine use.

Surviving are his widow, the former Margery Corliss a daughter, Mrs. Philip Gregg Kuhen of Milwaukee two sons, George M. Holley Jr., of Detroit and John
Holley of Chicago, and 11 grandchildren.

2008

photo credit: Brittany Gorrell

Special thanks to the Bradford Landmark Society, the Bradford Public Library, and Mary Pierotti for all their time and hard work.


George Holley : Sunderland - History

اسم:
Holley Motor Company

Region:
Allegheny National Forest Region

مقاطعة:
Mckean

Marker Location:
57 Holley Ave., Bradford

Dedication Date:
September 13, 2008

Behind the Marker

During the summer of 1901, at the Pan American Exhibition in Buffalo, N.Y., twenty-three-year-old George Holley (1878-1963) could be found "tearing about the track" in an attempt to break the world speed records for five miles on his newly-invented single-stroke motorcycle. According to the August 22, 1901, McKean County Miner, Holley during one attempt "lost control of his whirling engine close at the finish and went bounding off the board platter. The only damage was a stir up of the officials. Holley never lost presence of mind nor attempted to dismount, but shut off the power and continued the trip over sod." Holley went on to break "all existing marks for five miles" that day, which had been set less than a month earlier on July 31, 1901, at the Charles River Park in Cambridge, Mass.

Holley had come to the Exhibition from Bradford, Pa., an oil boomtown just south of the New York border in McKean County that had been incorporated in 1879. There his father, Frank P. Holley, ran the impressive Holley House hotel a four-story fireproof brick building with seventy rooms. In the late 1800s, northwestern Pennsylvania was the world's greatest producer of oil and petroleum-based products. In Bradford, oil spurred a host of related industries, and the "boomtown" culture spawned a host of refiners, dealers, brokers, and others all seeking to "strike it rich" in the blossoming, new oil industry. In that fertile environment for entrepreneurial innovation, the seeds of the automobile industry soon took very deep root.

George and his brother Earl were natural-born mechanics and tinkerers. In 1896, George attached a motor to his bicycle and his one-stroke "motor cycle." What made it unique was that George made the motor an integral part of the bike frame, thus avoiding the problems other inventors had confronted when they simply bolted a motor to an ordinary bike frame. The Holley innovation solved a host of problems and created a more balanced, vibration-free, and durable machine, with far greater power than other competing contraptions.

By 1897, George, now nineteen, and his sixteen-year-old brother Earl had designed and built a three-wheeled, single-cylinder automobile they named "the Runabout," which could reach speeds of thirty miles per hour. Two years later, the brothers formed the Holley Motor Company, with Earl in charge of administration and George in charge of engineering. At first the brothers produced motorcycle engines at a Davis Street location in Bradford, but soon were building complete motorcycles, in response to customer demand.

George was soon racing the motorcycles to promote the Holley Motor Company. At the 1901 Pan American Exposition in Buffalo, N.Y., George broke all previous world speed records for motorcycles at the International Bicycle races. In July 1902, he won the first Motorcycle Endurance Contest from Boston to New York, a race that promoted the motorcycle to the general public.

In 1903, the Holley brothers secured American rights to a French-designed carburetor and re-entered the American automobile industry with production of the Holley Motorette, their first four-wheeled vehicle, 600 of which they produced in Bradford over the next three years. It was then that Henry Ford of Dearborn, Mich., asked them to produce a carburetor for his new Model T automobile. An instant success, the Holley carburetor soon became standard on all Ford automobiles. By the end of 1907, the Holley Brothers Company was focusing on the manufacture of carburetors and ignition systems for Ford, Buick, Winton, and Pierce-Arrow. That same year, the Holley brothers relocated their headquarters to Detroit, Mich., and there opened their first Holley plant in late 1907.

In 1917, the Holley Brothers Company sold Ford its prosperous car-carburetor business and reformed around the tractor division. Soon they were selling their products to International Harvester and Chevrolet under the name of the Holley Carburetor Company. In 1927, Holley expanded into the aviation industry, and soon its carburetors could be found in the aircraft fleets of Pan American, American, Curtiss-Wright, and the United States armed forces. During the 1930s, Holley added fuel pumps and ignition devices to their manufactured line. During World War II, almost half the vehicles in the U.S. armed forces had a Holley carburetor and fuel-metering device.

In 1948, Holley entered the automotive aftermarket, supplying service stations and garages with Holley carburetor repair kits and parts, and adding new plants in Tennessee and Kentucky to keep up with demand. After moving its headquarters to Warren, Mich., in 1951, Holley built a new 250,000 square foot plant in Bowling Green, Ky. Product development continued through the next decades, and 1968 would see the merger of Holley with Colt Industries. The Holley aftermarket and original equipment business continued to grow, and in 1979, Holley created a replacement Parts division to meet an ever-expanding market.

In 1994, Holley original equipment division was sold to Borg-Warner, and Holley Replacement Parts relocated to the Bowling Green, Ky. In the 1990s, Holley expanded to include Hooker Headers, Flowtech Exhaust, Earl's Performance Plumbing, and NOS. However, even a strong, longtime NASCAR relationship was unable to protect Holley Performance Products from an overextended financial position. After filing for bankruptcy in February 2008, Holley downsized, but promised that employees would not be affected by the bankruptcy restructuring, and business would continue as normal.

Today, Holley carburetors are used by every NASCAR Sprint Cup team and every National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Pro-Stock champion. Holley Performance Products continue to make a variety of automotive components, including performance fuel pumps, intake manifolds, cylinder heads, fuel injection, and engine dress-up products for street performance, marine, and race applications.


اقرأ أكثر

Washington Old Hall descends to rack and ruin – before being saved

The 17th century version of the hall is mainly what we see today, although in 1792 alterations were made to the east wing. Architecturally, not much seems to have happened after that until the 1920s when it was divided into flats again - then neglected for years.

It seems incredible now, but relatively recently, 1936 to be precise, Washington Old Hall was in such disrepair that it would have been demolished had less progressive minds had their way. In fairness, the 1930s was not an economically joyous period.

But it’s always darkest before dawn and in 1937 it was purchased by a local preservation committee, led by one Frederick Hill, who set about its restoration with some US financial backing.

The committee set about removing the modern partitions of the flats and the building was made watertight.

Some of the restoration was quite ingenious, for example, one historic wooden staircase was acquired from the White Hart Hotel in Guildford.

Better still was that during restoration it was discovered that some of the 13th century parts of the house had not been completely destroyed, including those pointed arches, some foundations and walls. يا هلا!

Work was interrupted by a rather inconvenient world war and it wasn’t until 1955 that it was officially opened by the wonderfully named Winthrop W. Aldrich, the United States Ambassador to the UK.

In 1957 the National Trust took over the hall and still own it today. With help from the Friends of Washington Old Hall, the place has been made to appear much as it did around 400 years ago. Its gardens, paintings, furniture, ornaments and Jacobean panelling are quite magnificent.

It’s a hugely popular tourist attraction, not least with American visitors. History and splendour notwithstanding, the main selling point lies with a man who never visited England, let alone Sunderland.

جورج واشنطن.

Washington Old Hall is, of course, the ancestral home of the first US President.

He was born in Virginia in 1732 to Captain Augustine Washington and Mary Ball. His great-grandfather was John Washington, who emigrated from Sulgrave (in Northamptonshire) to Virginia in 1656.

George was also a descendent of William de Hertburn-Whessingtun-Washington . له.

To cut a long story short, George Washington led the Patriots to victory over the British in the American Revolutionary War of 1775-83. Then he became President in 1789.

He didn’t actually sign the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia on July 4, 1776. The President-to-be was actually in New York at the time, waiting for news from those who actually did sign.

He finally got to read out the Declaration to New Yorkers on July 9, who celebrated by whooping, drinking heavily and removing a lead statue of George III before melting it down, then turning it into bullets to fire at the British.

So while Washington Old Hall is indisputably the ancestral home of the most famous American of them all, and the connection is marked every July 4, the reality is that had George Washington ever turned up at the hall in person, we Brits would have hanged him.

Cementing the American connection

The American connection was firmly cemented in 1977 when President Jimmy Carter paid a visit to Washington Old Hall with British Prime Minister James Callaghan.

In 2006 the hall was significant in securing a friendship agreement between the city of Sunderland and Washington DC.

If you’ve never never visited this historical and aesthetic gem on our doorstep, we suggest you make the effort as soon as it reopens. The National Trust and the Friends of Washington Old Hall deserve our support and the hall brings revenue to this area.


Colliery Railways: Hetton Colliery Railway

Including a chapter on the Hetton Colliery Railway in an article about the railways and communities of Easington District might seem a little strange – after all the HCR began in Hetton and ended in Sunderland and at no point does it even touch Easington district. However the railway was constructed in the early 1820s when Hetton was indeed part of the then Easington District, which was much larger than now. The HCR ran from Hetton to Sunderland by crossing over Warden Law Hill, one of the highest points for miles around, and thus it could be seen from various high points (e.g. Mount Pleasant and Kinley Hill) in and around Seaham and elsewhere and for a brief while (from 1896 to about 1920) it may have been connected to Seaham Harbour via the old Rainton and Seaham line. More importantly the HCR (about which there is little published material) deserves a place in this book because of its unique place in railway history and for its role in opening up the coalmines of Easington District. The HCR was fed by Hetton Lyons, Eppleton and Elemore pits. These were the first deep mines in the county of Durham and were the inspiration for all of the other deep collieries which came later in Easington District, including the three Seaham pits.

The Durham coalfield is divided into two distinct parts – the exposed and the concealed. In the western, exposed, half fuel at or near the surface must have been collected from earliest times. There are places today in west Durham where people can literally dig up coal from their back gardens and there are still several open-cast sites which are likely to be around for decades to come. The first clearly documented evidence of coalmining in the exposed coalfield is in the Boldon Book of 1183, a register of the Bishop of Durham’s personal lands and the dues paid by his tenants. Small mines, probably simple bell-pits, were worked during the mediaeval period in the Tyne and Wear valleys. Limited in quantity and of indifferent quality, these coals were sent by sea to London and the Low Countries. The Industrial Revolution encouraged a dramatic increase in production from the 16th. century onwards. Because of their nearness to the sea Durham and Northumberland became the most important coal-producing and exporting counties in the period 1550-1700. Early wagonways and then the railways proper enabled coal and coke to be moved to the ports on the rivers and coast, where they were loaded on to large ships for export. A coal exchange was established at Billingsgate in London in 1769 and coal cartels began to operate in the Durham coalfield in the 18th. وأوائل التاسع عشر. قرون. Before the advent of steam coal mines had to be drained by primitive water-wheels and this placed a physical limit on the depth of the mines and the amount of water that could be removed.

Wagonways may have been used at small mines in the Midlands in the 16th. مئة عام. The earliest wagonway in the northeast was near Blyth, probably opened in 1609 to carry coal from pits near Bedlington to the river Blyth. In about 1630 Sir Thomas Liddell, of Ravensworth Castle, is said to have laid the first wagonway to the Tyne from the Teams Colliery near to Derwenthaugh. The first wagonway on the Wear was laid by Thomas Allan in 1693. By 1793 on a stretch of the river near Fatfield there were ten coal staiths connected by rail to some thirty pits. The rails of all these early lines were made of wood and the wagons were horse-drawn. By the middle of the 18th. century rails were made of cast-iron. By 1820 cheaper wrought-iron was increasingly in use. Wherever a large weight of goods had to be transported regularly between two fixed points railways showed themselves to be very practicable. At first hills set a limit to their use but inclined planes soon circumvented this problem. Complete canal boats were let down and drawn up on slopes between different canals. Similar inclined planes were placed to connect nearly level railways, and so the possibility of overcoming every difficulty of the ground was offered by them. Empty wagons were drawn up the line by the weight of the full ones in descent, a system apparently perfected by a Mr. Barnes of Benwell Colliery.

The eastern half of the Durham coalfield is concealed by several hundreds of feet of Permian magnesian limestone. The powerful steam engines required to dig and drain deep mines did not exist until the start of the 1820s. The first exploitation of the concealed coalfield using the new technology took place at the tiny village of Hetton where sinking commenced on December 19 1820. Deep mining was an expensive business, far beyond the financial means of most coalowners, and necessitated the creation of a large company for the purpose. Hetton was at the edge of the exposed coalfield. A few hundred yards to the east were old shallow pits at Rainton which sent their coal on horse-drawn wagons up a wagonway to Penshaw where it was loaded on to small vessels, taken down the river Wear, and re-transferred to larger boats for export to London and abroad. The new Hetton Colliery Company decided to dispense with all of these middlemen and have its own direct wagonway connection to its own staiths near the mouth of the river, eight miles to the northeast, for direct loading on to ocean-going vessels.

Whilst the exploratory digging proceeded at Hetton, George Stephenson, the famous engineer and pioneer of steam engines, oversaw the construction of the railway from the pithead to Sunderland from March 1821. He was allowed by his usual employers, the ‘Grand Allies’, to undertake this extra work, his first completely new railway, without any diminution of his salary as resident engineer at Killingworth Colliery in Northumberland. His brother Robert (after whom George’s equally famous son Robert was named) was the resident engineer for this, the remarkable Hetton Colliery Railway. The new line was the first railway in the world to be designed to use locomotives. Stephenson sold 5 of his own locos to the Hetton Company, but they were not terribly successful and were replaced by others in the 1830s.

The HCR ran uphill from Hetton to the Copt Hill, climbed over the top of Warden Law Hill, and descended past Silksworth on its way to the river at Sunderland. The railway was far from straight for it needed to make skilful use of the terrain. The first four stages totalled a climb of 317 feet 9 inches in about 2.8 miles. From the top of Warden Law Hill to the staiths above the river was seven more stages away, very nearly 5 miles, and a collective drop of 522 feet. Wagons, eight at a time and holding over two and a half tons each, were transported from Hetton to the Wear in about two hours – using fixed steam engines for the steepest gradients, self-acting inclined planes for the less steep, and very early locomotives and fixed engines for the few level stretches. Over the 8 miles there were two locomotives, six stationary engines, and 5 brake arrangements on as many inclined planes. At the time of its opening, November 18, 1822, the Hetton Colliery Railway was regarded as one of the engineering wonders of the world and it attracted visitors from as far afield as America and Prussia. The North-East was at the forefront of technology, the Silicon Valley of its day. The excellent publicity received launched the Stephenson clan on to even greater things – the Stockton & Darlington Railway (opened in 1825), the Manchester and Liverpool (opened in 1831) and the Birmingham & London. These pioneering achievements have earned George Stephenson a place on the back of every modern £5 note.

Coal كنت found at the Hetton Lyons Blossom Pit sinking, at 650 and 900 feet, in seams six and a half feet thick. By 1826 Hetton Colliery and its sister mines at Elemore and Eppleton were producing 318,000 tons of coal worth £174,000 and had become the largest mining combine in England. Hetton Colliery and its railway proved that 900 feet of limestone and quicksand and a 300 foot hill were not insurmountable obstacles to exploitation of the rich reserves of coal and that lesson did not go unnoticed. Before long others, including the 3rd. Marquess of Londonderry and Colonel Thomas Braddyll of Haswell, would enter the field and the tapping of the concealed Durham coalfield began in earnest.

Between 1828 and 1831 Lord Londonderry constructed a wagonway from his Rainton pits to his new harbour at Seaham. This, the Rainton and Seaham railway, passed under the HCR at a point opposite to the public house at the Copt Hill. No junction was effected between the two at this point in time but there may be have been one later. Rainton Colliery closed in 1896 and the Rainton and Seaham line became redundant. The sections west of the Copt Hill were dismantled. The section from the Copt Hill to Seaham Colliery and Seaham Harbour was transferred from Londonderry Collieries to the Hetton Colliery Company and a junction may have been created which enabled the HCC to ship its coal from either Sunderland or Seaham Harbour. The new connection to Seaham Harbour was used only lightly and was abandoned at some point before 1920. The original Hetton Colliery Company was gobbled up by the Lambtons, Earls of Durham, late in the nineteenth century. At the very end of the century the Lambtons in turn sold out all their mining interests to Sir James Joicey. In 1920 the 7th. Marquess of Londonderry sold Silksworth Colliery to Joicey. This pit had been connected to the Londonderry Seaham and Sunderland Railway but was now linked instead to the Hetton Colliery Railway. Thus in its time the HCR served Hetton Lyons, Elemore, Eppleton and Silksworth collieries.

When Hetton Lyons Colliery closed in 1950 Elemore, Eppleton and Silksworth collieries carried on using the ancient HCR and the old staiths on the Wear. The end for railway and staiths came with the construction of the new Hawthorn Shaft near Murton from 1952-58 to which the coals from Eppleton, Elemore and Murton were sent underground for onward shipment down the old branch line from Murton to Sunderland Docks via Seaton and Ryhope or to Seaham Harbour via the South Hetton line. After a working life of 137 years the Hetton Colliery Railway carried traffic for the last time on Wednesday, September 9 1959, and dismantling began the next day. The last 90 feet of track was lifted at Hetton on November 20 1960.

The Present

Today, in fragments, there is still much to see of Stephenson’s masterpiece. The three best viewing spots are:

1) At the Copt Hill public house on the Houghton and Seaham road you are at the top of the inclined plane from Hetton Colliery and can see down into the valley where the pit was located.

2) At the summit of Warden Law Hill, above the old quarry. From here, on a clear day, there is a spectacular view in every direction and the sheer scale of the railway can be appreciated. Truly a wonder of its time.

3) From the eastern perimeter of Farringdon estate the course of the railway can be followed, in isolated segments, past Plains Farm and on into the centre of Sunderland, running gently downhill all the way. All traces of it vanish as it crosses the Chester Road. The staiths are long since demolished.


شاهد الفيديو: للي ادتهم زماني - حفلة جورج وسوف - مهرجانات أعياد بيروت 2014


تعليقات:

  1. Caedon

    آسف لمقاطعتك ، أود أيضًا التعبير عن رأيي.

  2. Kazirn

    أين حقا هنا ضد السلطة

  3. Quinn

    بأي موضوع جيد

  4. Dunris

    يمكنني أن أعرض عليك زيارة الموقع الذي يحتوي على العديد من المقالات حول الموضوع الذي يهمك.

  5. Farmon

    مبروك ، لديك مجرد فكرة رائعة.

  6. Ereonberht

    سؤال ساحر

  7. Osahar

    تسمح بمساعدتك؟



اكتب رسالة