في ألتا كاليفورنيا ، من عمل في Ranchos del Rey؟

في ألتا كاليفورنيا ، من عمل في Ranchos del Rey؟


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

في ألتا كاليفورنيا الإسبانية ، كان معظم الإنتاج الزراعي تحت الإدارة وعلى أراضي الإرساليات الفرنسيسكان ، كان يتم تشغيله بعمالة محلية. كان من المفترض أيضًا أن يعتمد كل من القلاع الأربعة (الحصون) على مزرعة تابعة للملك - رانشوس ديل ري. مزرعة مونتيري الملكية المقابلة ، على سبيل المثال ، كانت تقع في أعلى النهر ، إلى حد ما بالقرب من بعثات سوليداد وسان خوان باوتيستا. من الذي عمل أو أدار هذه المزارع الملكية؟


تم تعيين جنود Presidio لإدارة رانشوز (الحياة في بريسيديال كاليفورنيا بواسطة Lothrop و Herczog). كان السارجنت ميغيل إسبينوزا مسؤولاً عن مزرعة الملك في مونتيري (Memorias sobre la Historia de California بواسطة أمادور).

لا شك أن الجزء الأكبر من العمل الميداني كان يقوم به السكان الأصليون. سواء كانوا مبتدئين في البعثة في إجازة ، أو معفيين من التبشير ، لا أعرف.


في ألتا كاليفورنيا ، من عمل في Ranchos del Rey؟ - تاريخ

تعتبر Mission San Luis Rey ، المعروفة باسم "King of The Missions" ، بسبب حجمها وعدد سكانها وإنتاج المحاصيل ، رقم ثمانية عشر في سلسلة المهام. يقع San Luis Rey على تل يطل على واد بين Mission San Diego de Alcalá و Mission San Juan Capistrano. على الرغم من أن سان لويس ري كانت واحدة من آخر بعثات كاليفورنيا التي أسسها الأب لا سوين في 13 يونيو 1798 ، إلا أنها سرعان ما أصبحت الأكثر ازدهارًا. يمتد على مساحة ستة أفدنة وصل عدد السكان إلى 2869 في عام 1825 ، وهو حجم يزيد عن ثلاثة أضعاف متوسط ​​مهمة كاليفورنيا. بحلول عام 1830 ، كانت البعثة أكبر مبنى في ولاية كاليفورنيا.

سميت على اسم سانت لويس التاسع ، ملك فرنسا وراعي الرهبنة الفرنسيسكانية العلمانية ، سان لويس راي مع إرسالية سانتا باربرا ، هي واحدة من مهمتين لطالما كانت فرنسيسكانية. يواصل الفرنسيسكان الخدمة بفخر في Mission San Luis Rey اليوم ، ويشتركون في احترام الحياة وبيئة كاليفورنيا تمامًا كما فعل مؤسسو البعثة الأوائل.

تبدأ جولة المهمة في لا سالا جنرال، وهي غرفة ملكية تستخدم كمكان للاجتماعات ومكان لاستقبال الزوار. في عقود المزخرفة سالا هي غرفة نوم فريارس.

تم الانتهاء من الكنيسة في سان لويس ري في عام 1815 ، وهي الكنيسة التبشيرية الوحيدة الباقية التي تم بناؤها في مخطط صليبي. الكنيسة فريدة من نوعها بسبب الخشب قبة والقبة. القبة مبنية من خشب الصنوبر ويمكن دخول الضوء في الأعلى بسهولة. ال ريدوس ويعكس المذبح العمارة الكلاسيكية والباروكية.

تكشف نزهة عبر الحدائق عن بقايا قوس عربة ، كان المدخل الأصلي للمباني الداخلية للبعثة. تنظر من خلال القوس شجرة فلفل ، وهي أول شجرة في كاليفورنيا ، تم إحضارها من بيرو وزُرعت في البعثة في عام 1830.

من عند داخل بعثات كاليفورنيا
© ديفيد أ. بولتون

حقائق سريعة

  • 18 المهمة
  • يُعرف باسم "ملك المهمات" نظرًا لحجمه وعدد سكانه وإنتاج المحاصيل
  • أسسها في 13/6/1798 الأب لاسين
  • امتدت الملكية ذات مرة إلى دائرة نصف قطرها 15 ميلاً وكان بها أكثر من 56000 رأس من الماشية
  • سميت على اسم القديس لويس التاسع ، ملك فرنسا وراعي الرهبنة الفرنسيسكانية العلمانية
  • المصلى الجنائزي فريد من نوعه بسبب القبة الخشبية والقبة
  • يعكس المذبح العمارة الكلاسيكية والباروكية
  • أول شجرة فلفل في ألتا كاليفورنيا ، جلبت من بيرو عام 1830

عنوان
4050 ميشن أفينيو
أوشنسايد ، كاليفورنيا 92057-6402
هاتف: 760-757-3651

حالة المعلم
معلم كاليفورنيا التاريخي # 239

الاتجاهات للبعثة
من I-5: اخرج إلى CA-76 East. انعطف يسارًا إلى Rancho del Oro. اعبر شارع Mission إلى موقف سيارات المهمة.

ساعات العملية
9:30 - 5 مساءً من الاثنين إلى الجمعة. 10 صباحًا - 5 مساءً من السبت إلى الأحد. يرجى الاتصال على 760-757-3651 للتأكيد.


سانت جونيبيرو سيرا

سيراجع محررونا ما قدمته ويحددون ما إذا كان ينبغي مراجعة المقالة أم لا.

سانت جونيبيرو سيرا، (من مواليد 24 نوفمبر 1713 ، بترا ، مايوركا ، إسبانيا - توفي في 28 أغسطس 1784 ، كرمل ، كاليفورنيا ، إسبانيا الجديدة [الآن في الولايات المتحدة] تم تدوينها في 23 سبتمبر 2015 يوم العيد في 28 أغسطس (1 يوليو في الولايات المتحدة)) ، الإسبانية كاهن فرنسيسكاني أكسبه عمله التبشيري بين هنود أمريكا الشمالية لقب رسول كاليفورنيا. في عام 2015 أصبح أول قديس للكنيسة الرومانية الكاثوليكية يُطوب في الولايات المتحدة.

بعد دخوله الرهبنة الفرنسيسكانية عام 1730 ورسامته عام 1738 ، قام سيرا بتدريس الفلسفة في جامعة لوليان (بالما ، مايوركا). في عام 1750 وصل إلى مكسيكو سيتي للعمل التبشيري بين الهنود ، وخدم أولاً في بعثات سييرا غوردا من 1750 إلى 1758 ثم في جنوب وسط المكسيك من 1758 إلى 1767.

عندما بدأت إسبانيا احتلالها لألتا كاليفورنيا (كاليفورنيا الحالية) ، انضم سيرا إلى قائد الحملة ، غاسبار دي بورتولا. في 16 يوليو 1769 ، أسس مهمة سان دييغو ، وهي الأولى في ولاية كاليفورنيا الحالية. من 1770 إلى 1782 أسس ثماني بعثات أخرى في كاليفورنيا: كرمل ، مقره ، في مونتيري ، في 1770 سان أنطونيو وسان غابرييل (بالقرب من لوس أنجلوس) ، 1771 سان لويس أوبيسبو ، 1772 سان فرانسيسكو (إرسالية دولوريس) وسان خوان كابيسترانو ، 1776 سانتا كلارا ، 1777 وسان بوينافينتورا ، 1782. ساعدت بعثات سيرا على تعزيز سيطرة إسبانيا على ألتا كاليفورنيا. تم تطويب سيرا في 25 سبتمبر 1988. في 23 سبتمبر 2015 ، أعلن البابا فرانسيس الأول قداسته كقديس في قداس خاص في واشنطن العاصمة.

كان سيرا شخصية مشهورة في حياته. ومع ذلك ، فإن معاملته للهنود الأمريكيين موضع نقاش. يدعي مناصروه أنه كان مدافعًا قويًا عن الهنود وقدم إلى أراضيهم الماشية والأغنام والحبوب والفواكه من المكسيك. يتهم منتقدوه بأنه كان متواطئًا في استعمار القارة الأمريكية واستعباد الشعوب الأصلية.


جمعية كاليفورنيو

كانت العائلات الإسبانية الثرية في كاليفورنيا والتي تسمى كاليفورنيوس هي المجموعة الأولى التي تحصل على فائدة واسعة النطاق من الموارد الزراعية الغنية في كاليفورنيا. تم منح الكثير من الأراضي منحًا من إسبانيا. بعد عام 1821 ، تلقت عائلات أخرى سند ملكية الأرض من المكسيك المستقلة حديثًا لتشجيع الاستيطان في ما كان يعرف باسم ألتا كاليفورنيا.

كانت ثروة كاليفورنيو مرتبطة ارتباطًا وثيقًا بممتلكاتهم من الأراضي وقدمت الائتمان في الأسواق المحلية. كانت كاليفورنيا تزرع البساتين والمحاصيل ، لكن تربية الماشية على نطاق واسع في رانشوز كبيرة كانت مفتاح ثروتهم. كما تظهر اللوحات ، ساهمت حتى المزارع الصغيرة الأمريكية الأصلية والمكسيكية في إدارة الماشية.

ارتبطت جميع جوانب مجتمع كاليفورنيا تقريبًا بعلاقتها بالأرض. ينعكس هذا في الخرائط المرسومة باليد والتي تحدد الجغرافيا الطبيعية للأرض. يتضمن Diseño del Cayuma رسومات تخطيطية للأشجار والممرات المائية ويوفر مفتاحًا في الزاوية اليسرى السفلية يشرح تفاصيل الأرض.

مع اندفاع الذهب ونهاية الحرب الأمريكية المكسيكية في عام 1848 ، ادعى تدفق هائل من المستوطنين لأراضي كاليفورنيا. أُجبرت كاليفورنيوس على إثبات ملكية الأرض في المحكمة ، وتكبدت رسومًا قانونية كبيرة.

في ظل النظام القانوني الأمريكي ، حلت خرائط المساح الرسمية محل diseños غير الدقيقين كعلامات شرعية لملكية الأرض. ترسم خريطة المساح الرسمية 1884-85 لمقاطعات لوس أنجلوس وسان دييغو وسان برناردينو شبكات الأرض بخطوط مستقيمة وقياسات دقيقة. غالبًا ما تستغرق قضايا المحكمة أكثر من عقد من الزمان لتسويتها. أُجبرت العديد من عائلات كاليفورنيا على بيع أراضيها قطعة قطعة من أجل دفع رسوم قانونية متزايدة.

مع تحرك النقل بالسكك الحديدية عبر القارات غربًا ، ضغطت خطوط السكك الحديدية على حكومة الولايات المتحدة للحصول على منح كبيرة للأرض. نمت ممتلكات كاليفورنيوس ، كما توضح الخريطة الرسمية للأرض الممنوحة للسكك الحديدية بحلول عام 1875.

اعتمدت كاليفورنيوس على العمالة التي قدمها الأمريكيون الأصليون والمكسيكيون. في المقابل ، سيوفرون المأوى والسكن ، مما يزيد من تشابك العمال بالأرض والعلاقات الأبوية. تسلط صورة "جون" الهندي وعائلته في Santa Rosa Rancheria الضوء على هوية هذه العائلة الأمريكية الأصلية في مزرعة الرانشو. في المقابل ، تم تصوير كاليفورنيوس مثل جوليا ، زوجة جواكين بولادو ، وخوان إجناسيا كانتوا في صور الاستوديو كأفراد.

قرب نهاية القرن التاسع عشر ، كان المهاجرون من جميع أنحاء العالم يتدفقون على ولاية كاليفورنيا. تزوج العديد من سكان كاليفورنيا من مستوطنين أمريكيين وأوروبيين لتأمين أرضهم ووضعهم الطبقي. الصورة الفخمة لدونا رامونا كاريلو دي باتشيكو دي ويلسون هي مثال جيد. يشير لقبها ، دونا ، وملابسها الأنيقة إلى تراث النخبة في كاليفورنيا. استمر زواجها من مستوطن اسكتلندي ومسؤول عسكري أمريكي في تأمين مكانتها في السنوات الأولى للسيطرة الأمريكية.

مع اقتراب القرن التاسع عشر من نهايته ، وجدت كاليفورنيوس أن نفوذها السياسي قد تقلص إلى حد كبير وأن ماضيها أصبح بالفعل أسطوريًا. روت رواية رامونا التي كتبها هيلين هانت جاكسون عام 1884 القصة المأساوية لفتاة يتيمة من كاليفورنيا تزوجت من هندي. تم كتابته لإثارة التعاطف مع محنة سكان كاليفورنيا الأصليين ، وتم استقباله بدلاً من ذلك على أنه صورة لماض شاعري. استمرت هذه الرؤية الرومانسية حتى القرن العشرين.

توضح الصور التي تعود إلى حقبة الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي للممثلين ذوي البشرة الفاتحة في مسابقة Ramona Pageant الشعبية التحيزات العرقية المعاصرة بدلاً من الواقع الثقافي لمجتمع كاليفورنيا المبكر. خلال هذه الفترة ، كان برنامج Bracero ساري المفعول. بدأت اللوائح الحدودية المتزايدة والمخاوف المتعلقة بالهجرة في فصل مستقبل كاليفورنيا عن ماضيها المكسيكي. عززت السياحة التجارية المحيطة بأسطورة رامونا ، الموضحة هنا في صور غرفة التحف في مكان زواج رامونا (والتي لم تكن موجودة من قبل) ، فضول سكان كاليفورنيا الحديثين حول ماضيها الرعوي الإسباني. واليوم ، لا يزال أحفاد عائلات كاليفورنيا يعيشون في الولاية ، وتميز أسمائهم - سيبوفيلدا ، ويوربا ، وبيكو ، وفاليخو ، وبيرالتا - شوارع ومدن كاليفورنيا الحديثة. ومع ذلك ، فقد ذهب مجتمع كاليفورنيا إلى الأبد.

ملاحظة حول التعليقات على الصورة

قائمة المصطلحات

منح الأراضي: هبة العقارات التي تقدمها حكومة أو سلطة أخرى إلى فرد. قد يكون كمكافأة على الخدمات ، أو كحوافز لتطوير الأراضي غير المطورة في بلد غير مأهول نسبيًا.

ديسينيو: خريطة غير رسمية مرسومة باليد من إعداد كاليفورنيا لتمييز ممتلكاتهم. ديسينيو تعني "رسم" أو "رسم" باللغة الإسبانية.

خريطة المساح: خريطة أرض رسمية تم إنشاؤها لأغراض قانونية ورسمها متخصصون مدربون.

نوع الصبغة: صورة إيجابية مصنوعة على صفيحة حساسة من الحديد المطلي بالمينا أو القصدير.


تاريخ مهمة سان لويس ري في عشرينيات وثلاثينيات القرن التاسع عشر

بحلول عام 1821 ، تم الانتهاء من بناء الكنيسة الأولى. بعد ست سنوات فقط من تأسيسها ، كانت سان لويس ري تنتج بالفعل 5000 بوشل سنويًا ، وبلغ عدد قطعانها أكثر من 10000 حيوان. قام الآباء بتدريب الهنود على القيام بالعديد من الأعمال: الشموع والصابون ، والدباغة ، وصنع النبيذ ، والنسيج ، والزراعة ، وتربية المواشي. كما علموهم الغناء في الجوقة.

وصلت مهمة سان لويس ري إلى ذروتها في عام 1831 عندما تظهر السجلات أن هناك 2800 مواطن يعيشون هناك. أنتجت 395000 بوشل من الحبوب ، وأنتج كرمها 2500 برميل من النبيذ.


اسمه ل

جبرائيل ، رئيس الملائكة المقدس

الأب الرؤساء المؤسسون

جونيبيرو سيرا ، الأب الأول لرئيس بعثات كاليفورنيا

تأسيس المبشرين

الأبان بيدرو بينيتو كامبون وأنخيل فرنانديز سوميرا وبالبوينا

قادة تبشيرية بارزون

بين 1775 و 28 عامًا التالية ، عمل الأبوان أنطونيو كروزادو وميغيل سانشيز معًا لجعل هذه واحدة من أنجح مهمات كاليفورنيا. الاب. واصل خوسيه زالفيديا عملهم لمدة 20 عامًا أخرى ، ويُنسب إليه الفضل في إدخال زراعة الكروم على نطاق واسع إلى كاليفورنيا.

الهنود ينضمون إلى البعثة

في عصر البعثة ، كان يُطلق على هؤلاء السكان الأصليين ، الذين تحدثوا إحدى لغات عائلة تاكي أو الكوبان ، اسم Gabrieleño بعد المهمة.

تعرف الآن باسم تونغفا ، تم الاعتراف بأحفادهم كقبيلة متميزة من قبل ولاية كاليفورنيا في عام 1994. لقد سعوا للحصول على الاعتراف الفيدرالي لعقود.

موقع البعثة

تم إنشاء البعثة في الأصل على طول منحدرات تلال مونتيبيلو في الموقع الأصلي لشيفانغا ، المطلة على وادي سان غابرييل.

في عام 1775 ، تم نقل البعثة إلى موقع Iisanchanga الأصلي "على بعد حوالي 3 أميال) إلى الشمال الغربي. تقع هذه المهمة على بعد 9 أميال شرق وسط مدينة لوس أنجلوس.

تخطيط

رباعي الزوايا التقليدي ، مع ثكنات الجنود ، ومساكن المبتدئين ، والمستودعات ، وغيرها من الهياكل (تشكل رباعي الزوايا الثاني غير المكتمل) تمتد من المجمع المركزي.

مصدر المياه

غذى نهر Río Hondo والعديد من الينابيع قناة مائية وخزانات ونظام قناة يوفر مياهًا وفيرة للبعثة ومزارع الكروم والبساتين والحدائق والطواحين.

تعداد السكان

في غضون خمسة عشر عامًا من تأسيسها ، كان لدى سان غابرييل 1000 مبتدئ. كان أعلى عدد سكان تم تسجيله 1701 في عام 1817.

الماشية

بدءًا من 128 رأسًا فقط في عام 1772 ، وصل قطيع البعثة إلى 42350 ، بشكل أساسي من الماشية (25000) والأغنام (15000) في ذروته في عام 1829.

أصبحت Mission San Gabriel كنيسة أبرشية بعد أن تم علمنتها في عام 1834 ولم يتم التخلي عنها أبدًا. ظلت المنطقة مركزًا لتربية الماشية والأغنام

المخرجات الزراعية

خلال حياتها النشطة ، كانت سان غابرييل أكثر إنتاجية بكثير من أي مهمة أخرى في كاليفورنيا حيث حصدت أكثر من 353000 بوشل من القمح والشعير والذرة والفاصوليا والبازلاء والعدس والحمص.

كنيسة البعثة

تتميز كنيسة سان غابرييل الفريدة ، التي اكتملت عام 1805 ، بمظهر مغاربي "يشبه القلعة" ، مع دعامات مغطاة ونوافذ ضيقة طويلة على طول الجدار الجانبي البارز. يشبه هذا النمط الكاتدرائية في قرطبة بإسبانيا.

أجراس المهمة

ستة أجراس تشغل جدار إسباني أو جرس. أقدم صانع الأجراس بول رويلاس قام بصب أقدم أجراس في مكسيكو سيتي عام 1795. يزن أكبر جرس (يعود تاريخه إلى عام 1830) أكثر من طن ، وقد استخدم لأكثر من قرن لقرع صلاة التبشير الملائكي ، وهي صلاة تقال في الصباح والظهيرة والمساء لإحياء ذكرى التجسد.

مهمة الفن

يقال إن محطات الصليب هي لوحات هندية مبتدئة أصيلة. تم عرضها في بعثة كولومبيا العالمية عام 1893 في ذكرى مرور 400 عام على اكتشاف العالم الجديد.

أحداث مهمة

في 22 مارس 1774 ، وصل خوان باوتيستا دي أنزا ، الذي كان يشق طريقًا بريًا من جنوب أريزونا إلى كاليفورنيا ، إلى ميشن سان غابرييل في طريقه إلى مونتيري. في العام التالي توقف مرة أخرى في سان غابرييل مع مجموعة كبيرة من المستعمرين.

في 25 أكتوبر 1785 ، كانت مجموعة مسلحة من هنود تونغفا من ست أو سبع قرى مختلفة على وشك مهاجمة بعثة سان غابرييل ولكن تم إبلاغ البادريس والجنود. تم القبض على عشرين من المتآمرين ، بما في ذلك أحد القادة ، وهي شابة شامان تدعى Toypurina. تكرمها جدارية Toypurina في لوس أنجلوس.

وصل رجل الجبال الأسطوري جيداديا سميث ، الذي كان أول أمريكي يصل إلى ألتا كاليفورنيا برا في عام 1826 ، في البداية إلى رانشو دي لا بوينتي ، وهي نقطة استيطانية تابعة لإرسالية سان غابرييل ، وتم اصطحابه إلى البعثة حيث التقى مع الأب. خوسيه سانشيز.


اسمه ل

القديس أنتوني بادوا ، فرنسيسكاني من القرن الثالث عشر ، مكتشف الممتلكات المفقودة.

الرئيس المؤسس

الاب. جونيبيرو سيرا

تأسيس المبشرين

فرس. ميغيل بيراس وبوينافينتورا سيتجار

قادة تبشيرية بارزون

الاب. بقي Buenaventura Sitjar في San Antonio de Padua لمدة 37 عامًا وهو مسؤول إلى حد كبير عن نجاحه. ابتكر هذا المبشر الذي لا يكل مفردات أصلية من 400 صفحة واستخدمها لتطوير التعليم المسيحي في اللغة الهندية.

منذ استعادة البعثة ، واصل الفرنسيسكان تقديم الخدمات الدينية وعقد خلوات في Mission San Antonio de Padua ، على الرغم من أنهم لم يعودوا مقيمين في البعثة.

الهنود ينضمون إلى البعثة

كانت هذه أول مهمة تم إنشاؤها في أرض شعب سالينان في موقع تلهايا. في عصر البعثة ، كان يُطلق على السكان الأصليين الذين أصبحوا مبتدئين في سان أنطونيو دي بادوفا اسم أنطونيوس. تظهر سجلات البعثة أن السكان الأصليين كانوا في الغالب من شمال سالينان ولكن كان هناك بعض يوكوتس وإسيلين.

موقع البعثة

تقع في جبال سانتا لوسيا في واد مرصع بأشجار البلوط جنوب شرق مونتيري ، في محمية عسكرية حاليًا. إن وضع هذه المهمة يشبه إلى حد كبير ما كان يمكن أن يراه المسافر قبل قرنين من الزمان.

تخطيط

رباعي الزوايا التقليدي ، تم ترميمه إلى حد كبير من قبل دبليو آر هيرست والفرنسيسكان بين عامي 1948 و 1952.

تشير اللافتات إلى موقع المباني والميزات المهمة ، مثل الطاحونة التي تعمل بالطاقة المائية ، في جميع أنحاء أراضي المهمة الشاسعة.

مصدر المياه

نهر سان أنطونيو ، حوالي ثلاثة أميال فوق المهمة. تم إحضار المياه عن طريق قنوات المياه أو الزنجاس وتخزينها في الخزانات.

تعداد السكان

كان أعلى عدد سكان مسجل 1217 ، في عام 1806.

الماشية

في ذروة المواشي عام 1828 ، كان للبعثة 20118 رأسًا ، بما في ذلك 8000 من الماشية و 10000 رأس من الأغنام.

من أجل التطبيق العملي ، تم تفريق القطيع إلى عدة مواقع. تم استخدام رانشوس سان بينيتو وسان بارتولومي ديل بليتو للأغنام والحملان. كانت هناك مزارع للماشية في Los Ojitos و Rancho San Miguelito ، وكل ذلك في نطاق ثلاثة إلى عشرة فرسخ (10-30 ميل) من المهمة.

المخرجات الزراعية

سرعان ما أصبحت هذه المهمة مكتفية ذاتيا. على مر السنين كانت مهمة نشطة سان أنطونيو حصد 110،000 بوشل من القمح والشعير والذرة والفاصوليا والبازلاء.

كنيسة البعثة

تم الانتهاء من الكنيسة الحالية أو الثالثة في عام 1813. في عام 1821 ، تم بناء رواق به ثلاث فتحات مقوسة ومصنوع من ladrillos ، أو الطوب المحروق ، من رواق الكنيسة ، مما أعطى البعثة مظهرًا فريدًا.

تم ترميم الكنيسة على نطاق واسع من قبل نادي المعالم بين عامي 1903 و 1908.

أجراس المهمة

يشتمل كل جانب من جوانب الواجهة على برج جرس مربع ، ولكل منهما جرس واحد. يقع الجرس الثالث والأكبر ، وهو أصلي ، في وسط الرواق ، فوق أكبر قوس.

مهمة الفن

تتميز جدران هذه الكنيسة الساحرة بزخارف ملونة رسمها هنود البعثة. خلف المذبح يوجد بولتو كبير لرئيس الملائكة سان ميغيل ، بأجنحة ممتدة وأسفله مباشرة ، بولتو راعي الكنيسة ، سان أنطونيو.

حدث (أحداث) مهم

في عام 1776 ، بقي المقدم خوان باوتيستا دي أنزا في البعثة مع 240 مهاجرًا من سونورا. أثبتت سان أنطونيو أنها محطة مهمة في جهود أنزا الرائدة لإنشاء طريق بري من المكسيك إلى ألتا كاليفورنيا.


لوحات مختارة لعصر البعثة

لقد نشأ معظم زوار مهمة كاليفورنيا اليوم في عصر لا تكون فيه الصور الملونة الكاملة أمرًا مألوفًا فحسب ، بل يُتوقع حدوثها. معظم الرسوم التوضيحية `` المستمدة من الحياة '' أو التصورات المعاصرة التي لدينا لأماكن وأحداث عصر الرسالة عبارة عن حفنة من الرسومات واللوحات الزيتية التي قام بها زوار موهوبون أو فنانو الرحلات الاستكشافية في القرن التاسع عشر ، والفن الديني الأصلي للمهمات التي لديها نجا. ومع ذلك ، يمكننا أيضًا تصور هذه الحقبة "بالألوان" من خلال لوحات الإحياء الرائعة التي تعود إلى عصر المهمة والتي رسمها فنانون مثل إدوين ديكين وهنري تشابمان فورد ، ومن خلال اللوحات الجدارية والديوراما والنماذج الكبيرة المعروضة في متاحف مختارة في كاليفورنيا. يعرض هذا المعرض عينة من كل فئة من فئات الفن هذه.

قدمنا ​​هذا المعرض لأول مرة منذ خمس سنوات. لقد قمنا الآن بتوسيعه ليشمل عشرين صورة تمثيلية بالألوان الكاملة. (توجد رسومات الحدث الإضافية في معرض Dodge and Harmer). توفر كل صورة في هذا المعرض معلومات عن الفنان والموقع والمشاهد التي يتم تصويرها ، عند توفرها.

وصول البعثة البرية إلى ألتا كاليفورنيا إلى خليج سان دييغو

في عام 1769 ، بعد لوحة مائية رائعة لويد هارتنغ ، الآن في مجموعة خاصة.

ظهرت هذه اللوحة في The Call to California ، وهو واحد من عدة كتب عن تاريخ كاليفورنيا المبكر برعاية جيمس إس كوبلي منذ حوالي ستين عامًا.

أول قداس في مونتيري عام 1770

بعد لوحة ليون تروست [1838-1917].

القداس قاله الأب. جونيبيرو سيرا ، الزعيم الروحي لـ "الحملة المقدسة".

بورتولا تستكشف ساحل كاليفورنيا عام 1769

بعد جدارية لروبرت إيفانز نُشرت بإذن من الفنان.

تُعرض هذه اللوحة الجدارية المعاصرة في مدينة لاجونا هيلز ، كاليفورنيا. بينما لم ينجح Portolá في العثور على خليج مونتيري اكتشف العديد من مواقع البعثات الواعدة.

إرسالية كارمل بوروميو عام 1792

بعد رسم أصلي لجون سايكس. © 2014 مطبعة بنتاكل.

تدريس بادري في قرية هندية

ديوراما في Mission San Juan Capistrano.

لم يبق الفرنسيسكان معزولين في إرسالياتهم. ذهبوا إلى القرى الهندية لتقديم الرعاية للمرضى والبحث عن المتحولين الجدد.

الهنود يصنعون Adobe Bricks

واحدة من مجموعة كبيرة من رسومات إسكوبار- كيث ، معروضة في Mission San Fernando.

كان المبنى في معظم المهام شبه مستمر خلال العقود العديدة الأولى بعد تأسيسه.

السفر بين البعثات

بعد أن لوحة جدارية البنك لم تعد متوفرة.

عادة ما يسافر المبشرون على ظهور الحمير أو على ظهور الخيل (عندما كانوا فرسان ذوي خبرة) ، برفقة جنود.

الاب. نارسيسو دوران وفرقته الهندية

بعد رسم أصلي بالقلم والحبر بواسطة Alexander Harmer © 2014 Pentacle Press.

الاب. كان دوران جوقة للفتيان وفرقة هندية في ميشن سان خوسيه ، حيث خدم لمدة سبعة وعشرين عامًا. قام بتطوير هاتين المؤسستين في Mission Santa Barbara.

مصلى في Cieneguitas

موقع قرية القصوة بعد لوحة رسمها هنري تشابمان فورد [1828-1894].

تقع هذه القرية بالقرب من سانتا باربرا.

مهمة سانتا باربرا عام 1794

بعد رسم أصلي لألكسندر هارمر. © 2014 مطبعة بنتاكل.

تُظهر هذه الصورة المهمة كما ظهرت قبل بناء الكنيسة الكلاسيكية الجديدة الفخمة في عام 1820.

الجندي الأرجنتيني هيبوليت بوشار

في عام 1818 ، هاجم هيبوليت بوشار ألتا كاليفورنيا.

بعد مهاجمة مونتيري ، نهب بوشار رانشو ديل ريفوجيو ، شمال سانتا باربرا ، وهو حدث تم التقاطه في هذه اللوحة الملونة بواسطة ثيودور فان سينا. نجت سانتا باربرا نفسها من الأذى بسبب هدنة بين بوشار والقائد خوسيه لا غويرا.

رؤساء الملائكة ميخائيل وجبرائيل ورافائيل

واحدة من العديد من اللوحات الرائعة المحفوظة في Mission Santa Bárbara هو هذا الرسم لرؤساء الملائكة ميخائيل وغابرييل ورافائيل.

توجد أكبر مجموعات الفن الديني في أواخر القرن الثامن عشر وأوائل القرن التاسع عشر في Missions Santa Bárbara و Mission Santa Ines ، وكلاهما نجا من العلمنة وأصبحا موقعًا للمدارس الدينية الفرنسيسكانية.

المحطة الثالثة في طريق كروسيس الاستثنائي

(محطات الصليب) لوحات رسمها المبتدئون في سان فرناندو في أوائل القرن التاسع عشر. توجد لوحات Via Crucis الآن في متحف Mission San Gabriel.

تصوير رئيس الملائكة رافائيل

تم من قبل الهنود مهمة. هذه اللوحة النادرة على القماش موجودة الآن في Mission Santa Inés.

مهمة سانتا كروز

بعد رسم حوالي عام 1902 من قبل إدوين ديكين [1838-1925] ، الذي أُعجب بالدقة والتفصيل في لوحاته.

تم تدمير كنيسة سانتا كروز في زلزال عام 1857 ، وهذه اللوحة تعيد تشكيل الشكل الذي كانت تبدو عليه خلال عصر الإرسالية.

بنيت سانتا كلارا في عام 1825

للأسف ، احترقت هذه المهمة على الأرض في عام 1926.

بعثة سان كارلوس بوروميو وخليج الكرمل

طباعة حجرية للوحة رسمها ويليام سميث ، 1827. نُشرت في الأصل عام 1839 في تاريخ كاليفورنيا السفلى والعليا بواسطة ألكسندر فوربس ، وتلوينها لاحقًا.

بعثة سان أنطونيو دي بادوا

بالنظر إلى الشمال ، بعد لوحة من عام 1881 رسمها هنري تشابمان فورد.

اللوحة الزيتية الأصلية في مجموعة فندق ومنتجع ميشن إن في ريفرسايد كاليفورنيا.

الهنود يتركون مهمتهم بعد العلمنة

بعد الرسم الأصلي لألكسندر هارمر © 2014 Pentacle Press.

تم علمنة البعثات 1834-36. كان العديد من المبتدئين مرتبكين ومترددين في مغادرة المنزل الوحيد الذي عرفوه ، كما توحي هذه اللوحة.

مسرحية المهمة

خلال ما كان يسمى "عصر إحياء المهمة" ، تم تنظيم روعة مدتها 3 ساعات لإخبار قصة التأسيس والنجاح والانحدار النهائي لمهمات كاليفورنيا.


تراث المناظر الطبيعية في سان دييغو و # 039

تمت المطالبة بخليج سان دييغو لأول مرة من قبل المستكشفين الإسبان خوان رودريغيز كابريلو وسيباستيان فيزكاينو في عامي 1542 و 1606 ، على التوالي ، وقد سمى الأخير المنطقة باسم القديس الراعي لأبرشية الروم الكاثوليك في سان دييغو ، سان دييغو دي ألكالا. بعد أن تعرضت للتهديد من خلال زحف صائدي الفراء الروس ، بدأت إسبانيا في استعمار ما كان يُعرف آنذاك بمقاطعة لاس كاليفورنياس في منتصف القرن الثامن عشر. في عام 1769 ، وصل الإسبان بقيادة غاسبار دي بورتولا والأب جونيبيرا سيرا من إسبانيا الجديدة لتأسيس حصن بريسيديو في سان دييغو وإرسالية كنيسة سان دييغو دي ألكالا على المنحدرات الغربية لوادي سان دييغو. كانت Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá الأولى في سلسلة من 21 مهمة تم بناؤها داخل كاليفورنيا ، بما في ذلك Mission San Luis Rey De Francia في عام 1798 ، جنوب نهر سان لويس ري. تم ربط المهمات عبر El Camino Real ، وهو طريق بطول 600 ميل يمتد من خليج سان فرانسيسكو إلى Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá ، ولا يزال من الممكن رؤية علاماته حتى اليوم. وبدعم من الحاميات العسكرية ، كانت المهمات أدوات للتحول والغزو ، حيث أجبر المبشرون سكان كاليفورنيا الأصليين على العيش والعمل في مستوطنات تسمى التخفيضات. أدخل المبشرون تكنولوجيا الزراعة الغربية ، ليحلوا محل المراعي الزراعية الموسمية في كومياي بحقول زراعية كبيرة ، والتي تم بعد ذلك تداول منتجاتها في بوسطن وليما وسان بلاس. كان أول نظام ري رئيسي يعود إلى الحقبة الاستعمارية مستخدمًا على الساحل الغربي هو سد الإرسالية القديم والقناة ، وهو الآن جزء من متنزه ميشن هيلز الإقليمي ، الذي شيدته بعثة سان دييغو دي باسيليكا سان دييغو دي ألكالا في عام 1803. في عام 1804 تم تقسيم لاس كاليفورنياس في مقاطعتي Alta و Baja California ، مع تشكيل San Diego aprt من السابق.

سان دييغو في دور بويبلو المكسيكي

بعد حصولها على الاستقلال عن إسبانيا في عام 1821 ، أصدرت الحكومة المكسيكية قانون علمنة بعثات كاليفورنيا في عام 1833 ، مما أدى إلى مصادرة وبيع معظم ممتلكات البعثة الواسعة من الأراضي. تم تقسيم ممتلكات ميشن سان دييغو دي باسيليكا سان دييغو دي ألكالا وممتلكات ميشن سان لويس ري دي فرانسيا ومنحت لمواطنين مكسيكيين بارزين. أنتج الإلغاء مزرعة Warner Carrillo Ranch في عام 1840 ، والتي أصبحت بمرور الوقت محطة بارزة على طول طريق Missouri Trail وتم الحفاظ عليها كموقع تاريخي اليوم ، و Guajome Ranch في عام 1845 ، الآن Guajome Regional Park. بعد هزيمة إسبانيا ، تم التخلي عن Fort Presidio ، وشكل الجنود مجتمعًا شبكيًا عند قاعدة التل ، بالقرب من مصب نهر سان دييغو. في عام 1834 ، اعترفت الحكومة المكسيكية بمجتمع سان دييغو باعتباره بويبلو ، مما سمح للسكان بتشكيل حكومة بلدية والمطالبة بآلاف الأفدنة من الأراضي المحيطة.

عندما اندلعت الحرب المكسيكية الأمريكية في عام 1846 ، استولى جون سي فريمونت ، الرائد في الجيش الأمريكي ، على بلدة وميناء سان دييغو ، حيث رفع علم الولايات المتحدة فوق ساحة بلازا دي لاس أرماس في المدينة. لم يدم هذا الاحتلال طويلاً ، وتناقلت السيطرة على المدينة وحصن بريسيديو المصاحب لها بين الأمريكيين والسكان الإسبان الأصليين ، "كاليفورنيوس" ، عدة مرات خلال خريف عام 1846. في ديسمبر من نفس العام ، قامت القوات الأمريكية تحت قيادة الجنرال ستيفن كيرني اشتبكت مع العقيد أندريس كاليفورنيوس في قرية سان باسكوال الهندية ، على بعد 30 ميلاً شمال سان دييغو. بعد ما يعتبر إلى حد كبير أكثر المعارك دموية التي خاضت على أرض كاليفورنيا ، والتي تم الاحتفال بها اليوم في سان باسكوال باتلفيلد ستيت بارك التاريخي ، غزا كيرني وفريمونت بويبلو في لوس أنجلوس. أدى استيلائهم على المدينة إلى توقيع معاهدة Cahuenga ، مما أدى فعليًا إلى إنهاء مقاومة كاليفورنيو في مقاطعة ألتا كاليفورنيا. في عام 1848 استسلمت المكسيك للولايات المتحدة ، وتنازلت عن سيطرتها على ألتا كاليفورنيا ونيو مكسيكو بتوقيع معاهدة غوادالوبي-هيدالغو. بعد مرور عام ، وضعت لجنة الحدود المكسيكية الأمريكية أول نقطة حدودية على الشاطئ الإمبراطوري ، على بعد 24 ميلاً جنوب غرب سان دييغو ، وتميزت بمسلة من الرخام. تم دمج العلامة في حديقة الصداقة الأكبر ثنائية القومية ، التي تم افتتاحها في عام 1971. بهدف ترميز التواصل والتفاهم بين الثقافات ، فقدت الرسالة الأصلية للحديقة بسبب زيادة تحصين الموقع في أعقاب هجمات 11 سبتمبر الإرهابية.

إنشاء مدينة جديدة وإضافة هورتون

في عام 1849 اقترح مساح لجنة الحدود الملازم أندرو ب. جراي للتاجر ويليام هيث ديفيس أن موقعًا أقرب إلى خليج سان دييغو سيكون مثاليًا لتشكيل مدينة جديدة. بعد ذلك بوقت قصير ، دخل ديفيس في شراكة مع أربعة مستثمرين لشراء 160 فدانًا من أراضي بويبلو على طول الخليج ، حيث قاموا ببناء ميناء وإنشاء شبكة شوارع لمدينتهم الجديدة. تخبطت. بعد سبعة عشر عامًا من دخول كاليفورنيا إلى الاتحاد عام 1857 ، اشترى المطور العقاري الأمريكي ألونزو إراستوس هورتون 960 فدانًا من أراضي بويبلو على طول خليج سان دييغو ، والتي تضمنت مدينة ديفيس الجديدة. نمت المستوطنة المعروفة باسم Horton’s Addition التي تعتبر جذابة لموانئها الطبيعية ، لتحل محل "المدينة القديمة" المتدهورة أسفل Presidio Hill كمركز سان دييغو بحلول عام 1880.

مع استمرار تطور المدينة ، تم تشكيل المؤسسات المدنية والعسكرية. وشملت هذه أول مقبرة عامة في المدينة ، مقبرة جبل الأمل ، التي تأسست في عام 1869 ، على بعد ثلاثة أميال من حدود المدينة ، ومنتزه المدينة الذي تبلغ مساحته 1400 فدان [منتزه بالبوا اليوم] ، الذي تم إنشاؤه عام 1868. أنشأ هورتون ساحة مدينة خارج فندقه في عام 1870 ، والذي تم منحه للمدينة في عام 1895. تم تصميم المناظر الطبيعية التي تُعرف اليوم باسم Horton Plaza Park من قبل Irving Gil في عام 1910 ، و Walker Macy في عام 2016. تم تأمين موانئ المدينة من خلال تركيب Fort Rosecrans في عام 1873 ، على طول شبه جزيرة Point Loma ، التي تم حجز نقطتها الجنوبية للاستخدام العسكري في عام 1852. تم تعيين مدفن الحصن ، الذي تم تشكيله في عام 1879 وتم توسيعه لاحقًا من قبل إدارة تقدم الأشغال ، على Fort Rosecrans مقبرة وطنية. خلال فترة ما بين الحربين العالميتين ، أنشأ القادة المدنيون مقبرة عامة ثانية ، وهي حديقة غرينوود التذكارية الخلابة التي صممها جورج كوك ، بجوار جبل هوب في عام 1907.

التنمية الحضرية في أواخر القرن التاسع عشر وأوائل القرن العشرين

أدى الانتهاء من خط سكة حديد كاليفورنيا الجنوبي في عام 1885 ، والذي ربط سان دييغو إلى خط سكة حديد المحيط الأطلسي والمحيط الهادئ العابر للقارات ، إلى ازدهار المضاربة على الأراضي التي حولت بلدة سان دييغو الصغيرة إلى مدينة ساحلية صاخبة. مع ازدياد عدد السكان من 5000 إلى 35000 بين عامي 1885 و 1888 ، تم تنفيذ نظام ترام حديث لربط وسط المدينة بالأحياء المتنامية في ضواحي المدينة ، وصولاً إلى البلدة القديمة في سان دييغو. من بين هذه الأحياء السكنية الجديدة منطقة Gaslamp Quarter Historic ، التي تم تطويرها من مدينة Davis الجديدة ، التي تأسست عام 1850 ، والقرية الساحلية La Jolla Park ، التي شكلها المضاربون على الأراضي فرانك بوتسفورد وجورج هيلد في عام 1886. مستوحاة من حركة المدينة الجميلة ، Botsford and Heald reserved five acres within their community for a waterfront park, designed in part by landscape architect Samuel Parsons, Jr. Known today as Ellen Browning Scripps Park, the blufftop site was at the forefront of a wider city beautification effort that would begin in earnest in the early twentieth century.

Despite an economic crash in 1889, growth continued at a steady pace throughout the 1890s and into the new century. The city became a tourist destination for thousands of health seekers who sought the advantage of the region’s tropical climate. Their presence spurred the development of spas and resorts, such as the Hotel Del Coronado, along the Bay. Meanwhile, suburban communities, including Golden Hill, Sherman Heights, and Banker’s Hill, continued to thrive farther away from the urban core.

At the turn of the century, civic leader George Marston, impressed by the beautification efforts undertaken in San Francisco and New York, pushed for an urban park system in San Diego. In 1899 he pressured the city council to reserve 364 acres of pueblo lands north of downtown San Diego as a public park. Designed by landscape architect Ralph Cornell and naturalist Guy Fleming in the 1920s, the reservation was expanded southward, eventually encompassing 1,750 acres. Acquired by the State of California in 1959, the park was renamed the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve in 2007. In 1902 the San Diego Chamber of Commerce formed the Park Improvement Committee to develop City Park, which was constantly threatened by land speculators. Marston personally hired New York City landscape architect Samuel Parsons, Jr., who, with the assistance of local horticulturists Kate Sessions and T.S. Brandage, developed the 1902 Samuel Parsons & Company City Park Plan. Parson’s plan, carried out by George Cooke until 1906, transformed 300-acres of parkland into a picturesque landscape, complete with an ungraded, curvilinear circulation system that provided vehicular access, while also preserving viewsheds of the surrounding ocean, mountains and canyons. Assisted by Session, Parsons also implemented a planting palette of evergreen trees and exotic flora across large swaths of parkland, whose growth was supported by a series of reservoirs. An exception to this was the park’s system of canyons, which an admiring Parsons left relatively untouched. Parson’s landscape design would be altered only a few years later with the development of the 1915 Panama-California Exposition.

Desiring to boost both the population and economy of San Diego, G. Aubrey Davidson, President of the San Diego Chamber of Commerce proposed that the city host an exposition celebrating the opening of the Panama Canal in 1915. The Panama-California Exposition Company, founded in 1909, chose to host the event in City Park, renamed Balboa Park in 1910. The Company initially hired the Olmsted Brothers to design the exposition grounds, but the firm, who objected to the disruption of Parson’s design, soon dropped the project. Bertram Goodhue, taking over the design, laid out an axial plan surrounded by Spanish Colonial structures upon 167-acres of the parkland located atop the Vizcaino Mesa. Resulting from this design was the construction of the House of Hospitality and the International Harvester Building, later incorporated into the San Diego Zoo as the Reptile House. . A second master plan, designed by landscape architect John Nolen, was implemented in 1927, followed by the addition of the Alcazar Gardens, designed by architect by Richard Requa in 1935.

In 1907 Marston hired John Nolen to create a city plan for San Diego. Critical of the city’s existing grid of narrow, repetitive streets, he produced a plan that favored wide, planted boulevards, a European-style public plaza between today’s Cedar and Date Street, open recreational spaces along the bay front and a promenade to connect City Park to the plaza. Inspired by the City Beautiful Movement, Nolen also recommended that San Diego develop small, open spaces throughout the city with gardens, plazas, and playgrounds, as well as a system of parks for the mental and physical relief of residents. The city council was reluctant to adopt Nolan’s plan, and many of his suggestions went unrealized. However, Nolan’s 1908 proposal was influential in the design of the subsequent historic subdivisions of Mission, Marston, and Presidio Hills, all of which featured wide, curvilinear street patterns designed to follow the region’s natural topography. Additional elements of the 1908 city plan were realized in 1938, with the creation of the San Diego Civic Center, initially designed by landscape architect Roland Hoyt, and the Works Progress Administration, on infilled tidelands along the waterfront. In 1924 Marston again contracted Nolen to update the plan, which further recommended an eleven-mile-long, bay-front drive connecting the city’s south boundary to Point Loma, as well as the preservation of Old Town. Having been partially restored by sugar magnate John Dietrich Spreckels and architect Hazel Wood Waterman in 1909, Old Town was designated a state park in 1968.

Despite the council’s refusal to adopt the Nolen plan in its entirety, Marston continued to press for the creation of civic and recreational spaces. In 1907 he and members of the city’s Chamber of Commerce restored the Casa de Carrillo, the oldest surviving adobe home in San Diego, built in 1817, and converted the surrounding landscape into the Presidio Hills Golf Course. Marston purchased the nearby Presidio Hill, the site of the old Spanish Fort, that same year. John Nolen created a plan to convert the steep site into Presidio Park, accepting design advice and refinements from fellow landscape architect Roland Hoyt, horticulturalist Kate Sessions, and Percy Broell, who later served as the park superintendent. Marston further underwrote the building of the park’s Spanish Revival-style Junipero Serra Museum, designed by William Templeton Johnson in 1928. Patronage was and continues to be an essential ingredient in the formation of various public spaces across the city. Operating concurrently with Marston, fellow philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps underwrote the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, (1905), the adjacent the Torrey Pines State Reserve (1921), and the Children’s Pool in La Jolla (1931).

During the early 1900s, San Diego’s city leaders acquired federal assistance to improve the harbor for commercial shipping, with funds coming from the sale of large tracts of waterfront property for use as naval installations. One of these sites included the Naval Training Center, placed along the shores of Point Loma in 1921. Initially sited on 200 acres, the base was expanded with the dredging of the adjacent harbor in 1939. The onset of World War II resulted in the creation of Camp Callan, adjacent to the Torrey Pines Reserve, in 1941 and Camp Pendleton on the former Rancho Santa Margarita y Las Flores, in 1942. The Naval Training Center remained active throughout the Cold War before being decommissioned in 1990, when the land was transferred to the city and subsequently developed into the mixed-use neighborhood Liberty Station and the Naval Training Center Park. Camp Callan, closed in 1945, was similarly transferred back to the city, and subdivided for educational and recreational institutions including the University of California, San Diego (1956), Torrey Pines Golf Course (1957), and Salk Institute of Biological Studies (1967).

Mid to Late Twentieth Century and Beyond

In the postwar years, increased suburban growth within Mission Valley, and the introduction of the highway system, shifted commercial and institutional development, such as the University of California, San Diego (1956), away from the city’s center to its periphery. As the region expanded, landscape architects played an increasingly important role in high-profile, public projects. Beginning in the 1960s, Garrett Eckbo created overarching design principles for the entirety of Mission Bay Park, encouraging a variety of uses while unifying the experience by maximizing waterfront access and orienting visitors towards the shoreline. Meanwhile, local firm Wimmer Yamada & Associates created plans for SeaWorld San Diego (1964) and Embarcadero Marina Parks, North and South (1978). Despite a rising population and the introduction of popular recreational spaces, the once bustling downtown San Diego entered a state of decline. In 1972 San Diego Mayor Peter Wilson announced plans to reduce urban blight by introducing mixed- use housing, educational, recreational, and cultural amenities to the downtown. In response, the Marston Family, continuing their legacy of patronage, sponsored a study by prominent urban planners Kevin Lynch and David Applewood. مسمى Temporary Paradise?, the study advocated for the creation of sharable cultural spaces that would democratize the city’s urban core.

Afterwards, in 1975 the city formed the Centre City Development Corporation (CCDC), a public, non-profit organization. The CCDC issued a master plan created by ROMA Design Group, which laid the foundation for urban renewal and resulted in the revitalization of historic landscapes and districts, such as the Gaslamp Quarter, and the creation of Modernist and Postmodernist urban spaces. The six-block-long Horton Plaza mall, by architect Jon Jerde, with a landscape design by Wimmer Yamada & Associates, opened in 1985. While successful in bringing businesses and visitors into downtown areas, renewal projects also sometimes resulted in the displacement of existing residents. In more recent decades the city has turned its view towards the water, transforming former industrial sites into public spaces that include Children's Park and Pond (1995), Martin Luther King, Jr. Promenade (1997), Tuna Harbor Park (2012), and San Diego Civic Center’s Waterfront Park in 2014.


Interactive Historic Timeline of the California Missions

  • 1768
  • 1769
  • 1770
  • 1771
  • 1772
  • 1773
  • 1774
  • 1775
  • 1776
  • 1777
  • 1781
  • 1782
  • 1784
  • 1785
  • 1786
  • 1787
  • 1791
  • 1792
  • 1795
  • 1796
  • 1797
  • 1798
  • 1803
  • 1804
  • 1805
  • 1806
  • 1810
  • 1812
  • 1813
  • 1815
  • 1816
  • 1817
  • 1818
  • 1821
  • 1822
  • 1823
  • 1825
  • 1826
  • 1827
  • 1828
  • 1829
  • 1831
  • 1833
  • 1834
  • 1835
  • 1836
  • 1839
  • 1841
  • 1842
  • 1845
  • 1846
  • 1847
  • 1848
  • 1850
  • 1851
  • 1853

San Blas is founded as a naval base and supply depot. Alta California will be supplied from here.

José de Gálvez, Visitor General of New Spain, plans a land-based and sea-based expedition to settle Alta California May 5, 1768.

Unknown to Portolá and Serra the expedition is imperiled. The main supply ship, the San José, left Loreto carrying urgently needed supplies, but the ship and it’s crew are lost at sea.

The San Carlos, a sixty-four-foot packet boat with 62 persons aboard, sets sail from San Blas bound for San Diego on January 9, 1769. A second ship, the San Antonio, leaves San Blas five weeks later.

The San Antonio arrives in San Diego with nearly everyone on board incapacitated on April 11, 1769. Driven far out to sea, the San Carlos takes almost four months to reach San Diego and Arrives on April 29. Twenty-four of the crew die of scurvy.

The expedition leader, Gaspar de Portolá, and the first FatherPresident, Junípero Serra, arrive in San Diego after an arduous six-week journey. Over two-thirds of the expedition’s Indians desert en route.

The undermanned expedition establishes a garrison on San Diego’s Mission Hill. The compound as such consisted of little more than brush-covered enramadas and several grass huts.

With many sick and dying, and supplies already low, plans to proceed to Monterey by ship are scrapped. Portolá leaves San Diego to journey up the coast in July of 1769.

Shortly after Portolá departs, Fr. Junípero Serra founds Mission San Diego de Alcalá on Presidio Hill.

The Kumeyaay attack the San Diego compound occurs, killing José Vergerano, the servant of Fr. Serra. A wooden stockade is hastily erected.

Portolá is unsuccessful in finding Monterey but discovers the Bay of San Francisco.

Presidio of Monterey is established.

Portolá returns to San Diego in November of 1770. The new colony is in desperate straits and may have to be abandoned.

The San Antonio returns to San Diego and the struggling new colony is saved.

Mission San Carlos Borromeo (known in the mission era as San Carlos Borromeo de Monterey) is founded. A provisional pole and thatch chapel is erected at the presidio.

Mission San Antonio de Padua is founded in the land of the Salinan people at the native site of Telhaya in the Santa Lucía Mountains, southeast of Monterey.

Mission San Gabriel Arcángel is founded along the slopes of the Montebello hills, overlooking the San Gabriel Valley.

Mission San Carlos Borromeo is relocated to the Carmel Valley near the Indian village of Ekheya.

The first mission in the land of the Chumash people, San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, is founded at the village of Tilhini.

The Dominicans agree to a take over responsibility for the Baja California missions through a decree, freeing up the Franciscans to concentrate on Alta California.

الاب. Serra travels to Mexico City to clarify his authority and bolster support for the Alta California missions from 1772 to 1773.

The first Christian wedding in Alta California takes place at San Antonio de Padua.

Conversions begin to increase. The Chumash and Salinan people are more receptive to the Spanish.

الاب. Francisco Palóu and five other missionaries leave Baja for San Diego, setting the boundary between Alta and Baja California en route.

Mission San Gabriel Arcángel is relocated from the slopes of the Montebello hills to the native site of Lisanchanga, three miles to the northwest.

Juan Bautista de Anza departs the Arizona presidio of San Ignacio de Tubac on January 8, 1774. The expedition discovers the first overland route to California, arriving at Mission San Gabriel on 03/22/1774.

San Diego Mission is relocated five and a half miles inland to the native village of Nipaquay in August of 1774.

The military outpost at San Diego is formally granted Presidio status.

Sergeant José Ortega escorts colonists from Baja California to San Diego Presidio.

The San Carlos is the first ship to enter San Francisco Bay. Captain Juan de Ayala names Angel Island (Isla de los Ángeles) and Alcatraz (Isla de los Alcatraces - Pelicans in Spanish).

A group of 240 colonists and over 1000 animals arrive at San Gabriel, destined for Monterey and the San Francisco presidio. Eight babies are born on the trail.

California is transferred from direct control by the Viceroy in Mexico City to the northern military command of the Interior Provinces, headed by Teodoro de Croix.

Presidio of San Francisco is established under the direction of Lieutenant José Joaquín Moraga.

Mission San Diego de Alcalá is rebuilt in October 1776.

Mission San Francisco de Asís, popularly known as Mission Dolores, is founded.

The seventh mission, San Juan Capistrano, is founded.

Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in the land of the Ohlone people. The neophytes ultimately include the Bay Miwok, Tamyen, and Yokuts.

The seat of government for Baja and Alta California is moved to Monterey in February of 1777.

Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe is established with 68 men, women and children. A central purpose of the civil settlements is to provide food for the army.

Felipe de Neve becomes first Civil Governor of California from 1777 to 1782. He reorganizes the administration of finances, streamlines regulations, and takes steps to grant the neophytes a greater role in mission management.

Quechans Indians destroy the two Spanish missions in the Yuma area, severing Spain’s tenuous overland route from central México to California.

Another group of settlers arrives in Alta California. Thirty-two men and women settle the pueblo of Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula.

Presidio of Santa Bárbara is established. This is the only California presidio that is partially restored.

The Serra Chapel at San Juan Capistrano is completed. This is the only church that remains in which Fr. Serra held mass.

Mission San Buenaventura is founded near the sizeable Chumash Indian village of Mitsqanaqa’n.

الاب. Junípero Serra dies at age 71.

الاب. Francisco Palóu is appointed interim Father-President from 08/28/1784 to 02/06/1785.

Juan José Domínguez, a retired soldier, receives the first land grant in Alta California, Rancho San Pedro.

الاب. Fermín Francisco de Lasuén becomes second Father-President of Alta California missions.

A rebellion led by a native woman, Toypurina, and the Alcalde, Nicholás José, occurs at San Gabriel over suppression of Indian ceremonies and other grievances.

Mission Santa Bárbara is founded at the Chumash village of Xana’yan.

Mission La Purísima Concepción is founded at the Chumash Indian village of Algsacupi.

الاب. Francisco Palóu publishes Life and Apostolic Labors of the Venerable Father Junípero Serra.

The remote mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad is founded.

The Malaspina Expedition stops in Monterey in 1791. The drawings by Expedition artist José Cardero increase interest in this unique land.

Mission Santa Cruz is relocated to the native site of Uypi, near the mouth of the San Lorenzo River and Monterey Bay.

California is returned to direct control by the Viceroy in Mexico City in 1792. The military focus shifts to defend against foreign invaders. Tension between the army and church leaders largely disappears.

The magnificent Royal Presidio Chapel at Monterey is completed in 1794 and dedicated on 01/25/1795.

An epidemic at San Francisco de Asís decimates the population.

In the 1790s foreigners arrive by ship in increasing numbers to trade for sea otter pelts, cattle hides, and tallow.

Mission San José is founded in the land of the Ohlone people.

Mission San Juan Bautista is founded on June 24, 1797. The mission sits on the only original Spanish square left in California.

Villa de Branciforte (present-day Santa Cruz) is established.

Mission San Miguel Arcángel is founded at a site the local Salinan Indians call Valica.

Mission San Fernando Rey de España is founded on Rancho Los Encinos, held by Don Francisco Reyes.

Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is founded at the native village of Tacayme in the region known as Quechia.

Upon the death of Father Lasuén, Estevan Tapis is appointed the Father-President from 06/26/1803 to 12/08/1812.

Mission Santa Inés Virgen y Mártir is founded near the ranchería of Alajulapu in the Santa Inez Valley.

The unique San Gabriel church, which features a Moorish “fortresslike” appearance, is completed.

A devastating smallpox and measles epidemic kills over 150 neophytes at San José from 1805 to 1806.

Nikolai Petrovich Rezanov arrives in San Francisco in April of 1806, seeking supplies for the Russian settlement in Alaska.

The Mexican War of Independence closes the port of San Blas and disrupts the flow of goods and missionaries to Alta California over the next decade from 1810 to 1821.

The first California autopsy was performed at Santa Cruz on Fr. Andrés Quintana. Period accounts indicate that the friar was poisoned.

The Great Stone Church at San Juan Capistrano is destroyed in a massive earthquake, killing 40 neophytes.

الاب. Narciso Durán develops a choir and band of some 30 musicians at San José, using teaching methods documented in his 1813 book Prólogo.

Recruiting and taking of Miwoks, Yokuts, and Chuillas Indians from the interior bolsters neophyte population from the 1810s to the 1820s.

The Asistencia of San Antonio de Pala is established at a mission rancho about 25 miles to the east of San Luis Rey.

San Rafael Arcángel is founded as a medical asistencia (sub-mission) for San Francisco de Asís.

The Russian-American Company operates a hunting station on Farallon Islands starting from 1819 to 1834.

Hippolyte de Bouchard, a Frenchman with a privateer’s license from the Republic of Río de la Plata (Argentina), attacks the coast of California, burning both the Monterey Presidio and Mission San Juan Capistrano in December of 1818.

One of the first American settlers in California, Thomas Doak, constructs and paints the main altar reredos at San Juan Bautista.

México achieves full independence from Spain and takes control of Alta California.

San Rafael Arcángel is given full mission status.

The impressive 210-foot long San Fernando Rey Convento (padre’s quarters and a guest house) is built.

Mission San Francisco Solano is founded, becoming the last of the California missions, and the only one established during Mexican rule.

México becomes a Republic.

Narciso Durán becomes Father President of the Alta California missions.

The population of San Luis Rey de Francia reaches 2,869, the highest achieved by any mission. Much of the population lives at outlying settlements such as Las Flores and San Antonio de Pala.

Jedediah Strong Smith, legendary American Mountain Man, reaches California by land and visits the Spanish settlements.

Gov. Col. José María Echeandía issues a provisional emancipation decree allowing a small number of neophytes born in the missions (or living there for at least fifteen years) to leave with permission of Franciscans and the presidio Comandante.

A major measles epidemic erupts in Alta California and 951 adults and 751 children die from 1827 to 1828. This represents over 10% of the mission population.

Estanislao, a San José mission neophyte, leads a large-scale Indian uprising that requires several military expeditions to quell from 1828 to 1829.

Soldiers of the Monterey Presidio launch a revolt in 1829. Fr. Luis Antonio Martínez, of San Luis Obispo, is accused of complicity in the affair but is ultimately exonerated on February 3, 1830.

Mission San Rafael Arcángel is badly damaged in an Indian attack led by Chiefs Marin and Quintín.

الاب. Narciso Durán is appointed as the last Father-President of Alta California on June 16, 1831. Santa Bárbara becomes headquarters of the mission chain from 1833 to 1846.

Missions are secularized from 1833 to 1836. Administrators are appointed. Many emancipated neophytes leave. Tradesmen, vaqueros and some others prosper but most become field hands or servants. Some neophytes join other Indian people in the interior.

A pueblo de Indios (a special town for former mission Indians) was established near San Juan Capistrano Mission in 1833. However, there were too few Indians to sustain a viable town and this experiment was subsequently dissolved and the land distributed to the remaining Indians and settlers.

One of many schemes to manage former mission land includes the Hijar-Padres Colony, under which some 300 liberal, educated individuals (teachers, artisans, medical attendants, etc.) would receive large grants of mission land and twenty-one Administrators from their ranks would oversee the Indians. Most of the colonists make it to Alta California [1834-1835] but the scheme is never implemented.

Richard Henry Dana serves as a crewmember of the Pilgrim, collecting hide and tallow, and visiting the missions and presidios [1834-1835].

Most of the neophytes leave Mission Soledad after it is secularized and the last priest, Fr. Vicente Francisco de Sarría dies May 24, 1835. The former mission is used as a ranch house for a number of years, and then falls into ruin, and is abandoned for over a century.

Santa Clara is the last mission secularized in December of 1836.

Mariano Vallejo is named Comandante General of California and Director of the Northern Frontier.

Mexican Administrators begin to move friends and relatives into former mission buildings.

John Augustus Sutter arrives in Yerba Buena and becomes a Mexican citizen.

Illegal immigrants from the United States move into Northern California in large numbers over the Oregon Trail in the late 1830's.

Richard Henry Dana publishes Two Years Before the Mast, his first-hand account of life in California. After gold is discovered in California, his book becomes a best seller.

John Sutter receives a land grant of 48,827 acres in June of 1841. That same year he purchases the Russian settlement of Fort Ross, unsuccessful as a source of food.

A small deposit of gold is discovered near San Fernando Rey and for years after treasure-seekers dig up the walls and floors of the abandoned church seeking gold.

What is left of the Pious Fund of the Missions of California is confiscated by Mexican President Antonio López María de Santa Ana.

The last Franciscan missionary to arrive in California in the 18th century, José Ramón Abella, dies at Santa Inés.

The former missions of San Gabriel and San Miguel become the first two parishes in California [1842]. San Buenaventura follows in 1843.

The last Mexican governor of Alta California, Pío de Jesús Pico grants his brother Andrés a very favorable nine-year lease on San Fernando Rey.

The Republic of Texas becomes part of the United States.

A former missionary of British Guiana, Fr. Eugene MacNamara, promotes a scheme under which 3,000 Irishmen and their families would immigrate to Alta California. Events overtake the implausible scheme when Americans sweep into California [1845-1846].

The U.S. notifies Lt. John Charles Fremont, who has been surveying the west, to “watch over U.S. interests in California.” By the time the message reaches Fremont in May of 1846 the U.S. Congress has already declared war on México.

American warships under the command of Commodore John D. Sloat of the frigate USS Savannah, and two sloops, including the USS Cyane and the USS Levant, capture Monterey and claim California for the United States.

The Californios resist American occupation and fighting continues into 1847.

Missions San Luis Rey and San Diego are occupied by the U.S. Army during the MexicanAmerican War [1846-1847].

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo cedes California (and parts of what today comprise the states of Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico) to the United States [concluded 02/02/1848].

Gold is discovered at Sutter’s Mill, near Sacramento [01/24/1848].

The Gold Rush had a devastating impact on the remaining California Indians. Disease, starvation and genocidal attacks reduce the Native population to an estimated 31,000 by the 1870 census.

California becomes the 31st state of the Union [09/09/1850]. It ultimately becomes the 3rd largest state in land mass (after Texas and Alaska), and by 1960 has the largest population.

Congress passes the Land Act of 1851, creating a commission to review land titles in California [1851].


شاهد الفيديو: البال في ولاية كاليفورنيا الأمريكية